Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 28, 2019, 07:09:38 AM
Does Empires have its own tactical battle engine?

Yes but very limited (based on dice rolls).  (check video at minute 32 https://www.twitch.tv/videos/408566742?filter=archives&sort=time)

If so whats the added benefit of letting FoG 2 manage it then?

You don't have to use the very limited battle engine.

Tripoli

There is also the speed of play factor.  If you are playing out each battle as a FoG 2 game, figure on adding at least 30 minutes per battle to the time to play the game.  If you figure at least 1 battle a turn, you are adding significantly to the time needed to play the game.  If the game manages the battles, they take about 15 seconds to play out.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Rayfer

Quote from: Tripoli on May 28, 2019, 09:25:16 AM

There is also the speed of play factor.  If you are playing out each battle as a FoG 2 game, figure on adding at least 30 minutes per battle to the time to play the game.  If you figure at least 1 battle a turn, you are adding significantly to the time needed to play the game.  If the game manages the battles, they take about 15 seconds to play out.

I have FoG2 and enjoy it, but have no intention of using it to play out the battles in FoG:Empires for just the reason Tripoli points out. Empires appears to be deep, complex strategic game with turns being one year.  The ongoing AAR by Das Tactic on YouTube shows the in-game combat, though simplified, has a lot of strategy behind it in the composition of units in your army that greatly impacts your chances of a victory. Playing out each battle in FoG2 would bring the flow of the strategic game to a crawl. At least for me that is...maybe a key battle here and there in FoG2 will work for me.  Regardless, I'm looking forward to this one coming out.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Rayfer on May 28, 2019, 09:37:52 AM
Playing out each battle in FoG2 would bring the flow of the strategic game to a crawl. At least for me that is...maybe a key battle here and there in FoG2 will work for me.

It is a bit like Total War games : do you play the battle or do you select autoresolve.

Tamas

As usual, I'd like to object to calling the Empires battle system simplifed, or comparing it to the Total War autoresolve. :)

Apart from the increasing number of videos on Youtube, we have tried to explain the details in writing here:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=547&t=91454

By the way here the battle conversion is explained in detail as well:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=547&t=91525

FlickJax

Quote from: Tamas on May 28, 2019, 09:59:23 AM
As usual, I'd like to object to calling the Empires battle system simplifed, or comparing it to the Total War autoresolve. :)

Apart from the increasing number of videos on Youtube, we have tried to explain the details in writing here:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=547&t=91454

By the way here the battle conversion is explained in detail as well:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=547&t=91525

Don't worry Tamas I think almost all of us are going to buy this :)

Rayfer

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 28, 2019, 09:48:16 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 28, 2019, 09:37:52 AM
Playing out each battle in FoG2 would bring the flow of the strategic game to a crawl. At least for me that is...maybe a key battle here and there in FoG2 will work for me.

It is a bit like Total War games : do you play the battle or do you select autoresolve.

Yes, agreed, it is a bit like the TW games.  I play some battles but more often than not use auto-resolve.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Thanks chaps!

The option to pick and choose which battles you want to play in detail is a very nice feature indeed, but good point made about the 'flow' of the strategic campaign.
Perhaps thats why I never finished a TW campaign... :P
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rayfer

If I remember correctly from watching the Das Tactics YouTube videos...you export the battle over into FoG2 to play out the battle.  You don't play it out in the Empires game. So you have to have both games open and running at the same time.  Did I get that right?   :o

Gusington

That I do not know. Not sure how that will work.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tamas

It might sound more complicated but actually pretty straightforward:

When you export a battle from Empires it creates a file. It is always the same file at the same location (so, one exported battle at a time, you can't store multiple of them), so FOG2 will know where it is.

Also when exporting is done (a second or two), Empires asks you if you want to close it down and launch FOG2. If you select no, it will go back to its main menu. If yes, it will do just that: quit and launch FOG2 .

In FOG2, you'll find an "Empires battle" button within the "Battles" menu. You press that and it starts up the battle. Once the battle is over you'll get the same dialog as above (quit and launch or not) just from FOG2's perspective of course.

In Empires there's an "import battle result" button right in the main menu.

Although this option to automatically quit one game before launching the other is definitely our recommended one (since we can't really vouch for people's PC setups), the only thing that could potentially prevent you from having the other game left open in the background is your computer's performance. I play with both games open when I am testing/playing exported battles.

Gusington

Thanks for that. My PC should be able to handle having both open at once as well.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Thanks Tamas.  Will having FoG2 on Steam be a problem?

PipFromSlitherine

There is code which should allow different SKUs of the games to play each other without issue.  E.g. if you have Slitherine FoG2 and Steam Empires it should all just work (tm).  The only requirement is that you have run each game at least once before you try and get them to talk to each other.

Cheers

Pip