Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

7/11 You say. Makes me think of buying cheap wine when I was 18.  <:-)   This'll give me time to take a nap before the action starts.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Zonso

This looks too good to be true! :notworthy: Not to be a glass half full guy, but hopefully it lives up to the hype. I am partly skeptical, just because previous AGEod releases, while also great in concept, have been a little under baked in release and follow up support. I have also found as a player of AGEod games, that most of the challenge comes from the system itself and not necessarily the AI. We already know FOGII is rock solid, but from browsing the numerous dev diaries, I don't see much on how the AI plays the strategic game? Forge of Freedom, another game that mixed the strategic and tactical layer did a pretty good job strategically only to be let down by the tactical side imo. Would love to hear how FOG:Empires plays well strategically against the AI, if so it would be an instant classic.  :bd:

devoncop

Quote from: Zonso on June 12, 2019, 03:40:29 PM
This looks too good to be true! :notworthy: Not to be a glass half full guy, but hopefully it lives up to the hype. I am partly skeptical, just because previous AGEod releases, while also great in concept, have been a little under baked in release and follow up support. I have also found as a player of AGEod games, that most of the challenge comes from the system itself and not necessarily the AI. We already know FOGII is rock solid, but from browsing the numerous dev diaries, I don't see much on how the AI plays the strategic game? Forge of Freedom, another game that mixed the strategic and tactical layer did a pretty good job strategically only to be let down by the tactical side imo. Would love to hear how FOG:Empires plays well strategically against the AI, if so it would be an instant classic.  :bd:

This is not an Ageod game in any real sense. It is a totally new engine.

Please do look for the Dastactic plays of the Carthage challenge on you tube....it explains a heck of a lot of the game mechanics and should put your mind to rest.

Speaking online to players of the Beta version they are blown away by the game (as was Dastactic) and the naval AI has just had a big upgrade prior to final release....

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: devoncop on June 12, 2019, 04:26:22 PM
Quote from: Zonso on June 12, 2019, 03:40:29 PM

Please do look for the Dastactic plays of the Carthage challenge on you tube....it explains a heck of a lot of the game mechanics and should put your mind to rest.

Speaking online to players of the Beta version they are blown away by the game (as was Dastactic) and the naval AI has just had a big upgrade prior to final release....

New engine, but same main developer though (Pocus) ?  Regardless of the past, I will be buying first day (unless one of those mega expensive Matrix premium titles) like I always do, but with so much hype being generated really hope it doesn't let people down.  I truly hope it is as great as people think.

devoncop

I agree with you there but all signs are positive.

So on the 18th which nation are people intending to play first ?

I will have a few turns practicing as Egypt to prepare for our MP extravaganza on the 18th but the learning game will be as the Britons as they are small and manageable surrounded by independents (until the heathen Picts turn up :hide:)

Epirus and it's Elephants appeal too though 👍

Zonso

Not sure I understand the bolded comment. New/old engine, AGEod is still the developer are they not? They are listed as such on the product page.

Anyways have reviewed Dastactic's videos throughout and agree, he does a great job explaining the games various (deep) mechanics; however not seen or aware of much on how the AI plays, handles diplomacy etc. Good to hear re the naval aspect. As always will wait patiently for release and reviews. Thanks.

glen55

Quote from: Zonso on June 13, 2019, 07:23:00 AM

Not sure I understand the bolded comment. New/old engine, AGEod is still the developer are they not? They are listed as such on the product page.

Anyways have reviewed Dastactic's videos throughout and agree, he does a great job explaining the games various (deep) mechanics; however not seen or aware of much on how the AI plays, handles diplomacy etc. Good to hear re the naval aspect. As always will wait patiently for release and reviews. Thanks.

Ageod is SO associated with a single engine that--at least from my perspective--the comment makes perfect sense. I have definite expectations from Ageod, but if it's not that same engine they've already put out about 20 or more games under, then I don't really have any expectations at all beyond "we'll see."
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

devoncop

Quote from: glen55 on June 13, 2019, 01:56:16 PM
Quote from: Zonso on June 13, 2019, 07:23:00 AM

Ageod is SO associated with a single engine that--at least from my perspective--the comment makes perfect sense. I have definite expectations from Ageod, but if it's not that same engine they've already put out about 20 or more games under, then I don't really have any expectations at all beyond "we'll see."

That was EXACTLY the point I was trying to make but perhaps should have phrased it better.

At no stage, despite buying several of their old generation games and watching You Tube advice guides did I ever get to grips with their old engine.

I have watched 8 or so Dastactic You Tube presentations of FoG Empires and I am confident I can pick it up on release and play it without a tutorial.

It has an excellent informative UI and the ledger in game is second to none.

W8taminute

Zonso I was skeptical too about FoG:E when I found it AGEOD was connected to it.  See my post a few pages back in this thread. 

I'm fairly certain now thanks to the guidance of devoncop and others that this game will not be just another game based off of the decrepit Athena Engine.  It is a brand new engine and one that looks very intuitive.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2019, 04:44:28 PM
No tutorial, eh?

There is a step by step guide to the first 8 or so turns as Rome in the manual 😉

Gusington

No I mean that you don't need the tutorial? Most impressive!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MOS:96B2P