Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Right. If you just can't deal with them where you are, buy them a condo in Miami.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

solops

OK. This has been out for a while. I have not had time to play it. Is there any verdict on the game yet? Problems? Good stuff? Playability? Glaring patches needed past 1.3? Is it FUN?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

devoncop

Quote from: solops on August 21, 2019, 10:47:45 AM
OK. This has been out for a while. I have not had time to play it. Is there any verdict on the game yet? Problems? Good stuff? Playability? Glaring patches needed past 1.3? Is it FUN?

I have over 250 hours in it....and I wasn't even a beta tester.

Oh boy is it good :-)

Diplomacy needs beefing up and you need to be prepared to read the very well written manual to get your head around the different mechanics for trade, Culture and Decadence and the special rules for different countries but if you do I think you will be very impressed.

Several members of this site are playing a MP game I organised on day 1 with 16 players which is now up to about turn 26 .....so far it has run brilliantly. They may well chip in with their views.

(Field of Glory 2 definitely not essential in my view as you don't play out the battles in FoG2 in MP anyway and even SP I choose not to as I enjoy the flow of the Campaign game with in built battle resolution.)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

JasonPratt

Worth full cost, if you understand and appreciate what you're getting. Less complex (also less pretty) than Imperator: Rome, but still has a lot going on under the hood. Pretty elegant strategic gameplay, though I haven't had to try to manage a large nation yet. Easy to burn through a lot of turns. UI could still stand some tweaking, particularly on the after-turn reports which are functional but rather a mess. Quite a different game from Aggressors (also quite a lot larger), not as large or overwhelming as Imperator. Being able to export battles to FoG2 (no DLC needed) is definitely a plus. Being able to migrate worker groups from area to area would be handy.

If you like the idea of managing ancient nations in the pre-Imperial time, out to western India, whether well-established or from the dirt up, and you don't want a more civ-type game (which is Aggressors, also worth buying but with quite different gameplay), without going insane managing families and all the glorious minutia of Imperator, then buy with confidence.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tanaka

Quote from: devoncop on August 21, 2019, 11:34:29 AM
Quote from: solops on August 21, 2019, 10:47:45 AM

I have over 250 hours in it....and I wasn't even a beta tester.

Oh boy is it good :-)

Diplomacy needs beefing up and you need to be prepared to read the very well written manual to get your head around the different mechanics for trade, Culture and Decadence and the special rules for different countries but if you do I think you will be very impressed.

Several members of this site are playing a MP game I organised on day 1 with 16 players which is now up to about turn 26 .....so far it has run brilliantly. They may well chip in with their views.

(Field of Glory 2 definitely not essential in my view as you don't play out the battles in FoG2 in MP anyway and even SP I choose not to as I enjoy the flow of the Campaign game with in built battle resolution.)

Devoncop is this your MP Arverni game? I am having a blast in that one as Antigonids. This is definitely my most played game at the moment. My vote for game of the year. The AI and Diplomacy could use some work but I am really enjoying the MP aspect. In this MP game I am defending against Macedonia-Sparta alliance and Ptolemy and Seleucids all attacking me. Ptolemy asked for peace which I gladly accepted and Carthage came to my aid in an alliance. We now have Macedonia on the ropes and Maurya is chewing up the Seleucid rear as the Seleucids chew up my rear. It does not seem the AI can handle a two front war as it throws all of its forces against me and refuses peace as Maurya engulfs it from the other side. Diplomacy is for all to see in MP so that is kind of funny. You would think there would be a way to send private messages like in Dominions 5.

devoncop

Hi Tanaka

No It is a different game. The thread for that one is also on this forum. In that I am playing the Ptolemies....

In that the Antigonids are ahead on Legacy and have gone into an unholy alliance with the Seleucids having taken out Macedon, and the Lysimakos and the Seleucids most of Maurya !I

Every game plays out very differently.

Our diplomacy in that one is very involved and is done by PM on both this forum and the Slitherine Games one....

I agree by the way.....unquestionably strategy game of the year.

Huw the Poo

Oh god I NEED this game!  Pity I'm saving this month.  But on the 18th September it will be mine!  I'll be well up for a multiplayer game too if any happen to be starting around then.

Tanaka

Quote from: devoncop on August 23, 2019, 12:38:08 PM
Hi Tanaka

No It is a different game. The thread for that one is also on this forum. In that I am playing the Ptolemies....

In that the Antigonids are ahead on Legacy and have gone into an unholy alliance with the Seleucids having taken out Macedon, and the Lysimakos and the Seleucids most of Maurya !I

Our diplomacy in that one is very involved and is done by PM on both this forum and the Slitherine Games one....

I take it the Seleucids are being played by a human player? I can't see the AI ever doing that as it just refuses peace with anyone as them. Allying with Seleucids as Antigonids is definitely your best bet to win the game as human players. My game would have gone much differently had I been able to do this. Fighting a four front war is near impossible.

devoncop

Quote from: Tanaka on August 28, 2019, 02:02:33 PM
Hi Tanaka

I take it the Seleucids are being played by a human player? I can't see the AI ever doing that as it just refuses peace with anyone as them. Allying with Seleucids as Antigonids is definitely your best bet to win the game as human players. My game would have gone much differently had I been able to do this. Fighting a four front war is near impossible.

Correct. Jim Winsor is playing the Seleucids......it is a question of how long they hang together........sooner or later the Seleucids are going to have to take out the Antigonids or visa versa.......that conflict will provide the rest of us the best chance of getting back to being competitive if we manage to hang in there  :)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2019, 05:45:45 PM
Except me...

Defeatist ! !

The night is always darkest before the dawn  :)

JasonPratt

I'm on my way!

I'll be there by... {checking the history books}.... when did the Muslims get there? 900s? 1000s?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 28, 2019, 09:20:58 PM
I'm on my way!

I'll be there by... {checking the history books}.... when did the Muslims get there? 900s? 1000s?

Tortoise and the hare.....in a couple of hundred years the last citizens of the fragmented shrunken Seleucid Empire will look at each other as sigh..... "Why did we not see the arrival of the invincible Saba coming ?"  ;)

Gusington

I don't know if I can hold out that long. I am actually reading a book on the establishment of the Islamic Empire and IIRC the Muslims got out to Bactria in the 8th century.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

LOL!
No, really, you guys stop equivocating and tell me what you really think.

I guess I need to fit this one into my learning queue.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin