Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg

Started by Ian C, May 25, 2020, 12:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

Looks interesting. Any reports?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1200330/Strategic_Mind_Blitzkrieg/

ABOUT THIS GAME

Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg is a turn-based strategy set in the period of WW2. It brings a modern look and new features to the good old wargame genre. You are to lead the German Armed forces overcoming unthinkable odds and claiming the ultimate bittersweet victory in Europe.

The game is created with great care and attention to historical details by a team that is passionate about WW2 history. The cinematics before and after every operation add depth and immersion into the events unfolding before your eyes. Moreover, a number of primary and secondary objectives allow you to explore every scenario in detail. The gameplay is plot-driven and features many historical personalities such as Franz Halder, Heinz Guderian, Erich von Manstein, Erwin Rommel, Karl Dönitz, Wilhelm Canaris, Hermann Göring and others.

Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg is the second installment in the Strategic Mind line of games. While "The Pacific" was more about naval warfare, the "Blitzkrieg" brings us all into the continental battles fought by the German troops. As a part of the Strategic Mind franchise, it will retain many features of the series along with adding new content and features to the existing variety.

Key features:

You will have the opportunity to command ground, air, and naval forces with the emphasis on the land battles.

Modern 3D graphics brought by UE4 engine with detailed models of all the units, day/night cycle and weather effects.

You can upgrade and customize your troops by leveling them up and selecting skills that best suit your strategy. Moreover, you can equip your troops with additional equipment for each operation to better suit both your strategy and the war theatre.

You will gain a number of awards throughout the game and get access to unique HQ skills, which you can learn to increase the efficiency and synergy of your troops.

You can acquire new units of various types, or upgrade your existing ones. All new units and equipment are available at historically accurate moments of the campaign.

You can take numerous trophies and use some of the enemy`s most advanced units against him in future battles.

While we strive for historical accuracy, we also allow you to explore various "what if's" and see what could have happened should the German Armed forces be even more successful in their struggle for dominance over the European continent.

Storytelling cinematics, as well as in-operation dialogues with full voice over, will help you get a better feeling of the epochal events.

Full content, no "pre-made DLC nonsense" and long-term support. You pay once for a full game and enjoy all the benefits without any additional pesky transactions. That includes new updates and some additional content and support along the way. While we reserve the right to add extra DLC content in the future, that will in no way take away from you the whole experience of the game.

Jarhead0331

Reports on one of the PC wargaming facebook groups is that it sucks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

50% off to owners of Panzer Strategy until june 5th.

Steam seems to like it (86% positive).

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 25, 2020, 01:02:02 PM
Reports on one of the PC wargaming facebook groups is that it sucks.

So, not all that different than the PTO installment?

Right down to the goofy cinematics?

EDIT - Oh my god, I just watched the trailer on Steam.  WTF were they thinking wasting their money on those stupid cutscenes with awful voice acting?   #:-)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

mbar

Agreed. the cut scenes are full of cringe and way longer than they would ever need to be.

sandman2575

I remember being curious about the first installment -- and then I saw the cinematics that showed Hitler on a platform watching as Tiger tanks rolled out to invade Poland. There were so many things wrong with that that I crossed Strategic Mind off my interested list for good.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 25, 2020, 03:46:23 PM
I remember being curious about the first installment -- and then I saw the cinematics that showed Hitler on a platform watching as Tiger tanks rolled out to invade Poland. There were so many things wrong with that that I crossed Strategic Mind off my interested list for good.

This.   

I also found it pretty skeevy how they dropped support of their previous games not long after release to work on what look to only be half sequels.   

I've seen nothing on these to make me prefer them over Panzer Corps 2 or OOB. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Ian C

Split opinions then. Steam reviews look ok - but I saw that hilarious movie with the cutscene.  I'll give it a miss until I see a Lets Play video.

JasonPratt

Setting aside the occasionally painful acting, I thought the first game was really quite good (though unpolished in several ways) as a translation of Panzer General mechanics (and topics) to a 3D Unreal-engine map, much in the vein of my beloved Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy. And I appreciated the attempt at dramatic cutscenes anyway. :)

I bought the remake/update Blitzkrieg on release, but haven't played it yet. (Same for the Pacific General homage, bought same day.)

I had been going to do a video review of it eventually, but other gaming came up this weekend instead.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: Ian C on May 25, 2020, 04:34:39 PM
Split opinions then. Steam reviews look ok - but I saw that hilarious movie with the cutscene.  I'll give it a miss until I see a Lets Play video.

Only one episode (so far) but it lasts almost 2 hours.

devoncop

For info of anyone interested the prolific You Tuber Aggrippa Maxentius has also done a review/playthrough of this one.

For me the mechanics may be solid enough but a combination of the grim "acting" cut scenes and a garish colour scheme makes it a no go.
It's a shame as the fact they start with the Spanish Civil War rather than the default 1939 Poland scenario is a really nice touch.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

HoodedHorseJoe

We reviewed the first game and Strategic Mind: The Pacific and weren't a fan of either, if it helps. My guy didn't have high hopes for this new one.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.