Star Wars movies ranking

Started by Anguille, January 13, 2022, 04:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Anguille on January 14, 2022, 02:32:05 AM
Quote from: solops on January 13, 2022, 10:20:53 PM
A New Hope is easily #1. Those of you who were not alive when it came out cannot appreciate what an impact it had. I grew up starved for even bad Japanese black-and-white sci-fi or monster movies. When the original Star Trek came out on TV it exploded our minds, light years in advance of anything done before. It sadly went off the air too soon and we were starved for sci-fi until A New Hope came out in 1977. It was as revolutionary and mind-blowing at the time as Star Trek had been in the 60's. The Graphics were AMAZING. The scope was awe inspiring. People look back at the movie today and say "Meh", but at the time it was unbelievable. I drove 2 hours and stood in line for 4 and a half hours with some friends at the Galleria in Houston during opening week to see it. We went back and watched it 4 times in the first month. That does not sound like much today, but we were all in college at Texas A&M and had to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest theater showing it. No my friends, for all of its flaws and cheeziness by today's standards, "A New Hope" remains one of the best movies of my life and easily the best Star Wars movie.
New Hope is the first i saw and i agree with you. It's my favourite as well but Empires Strikes back is probably an even better movie with a deeper story.

Well stated Solops and Anguille. 

I was 11 years old when Star Wars A New Hope was first released in theaters.  Everyone in my grade at school saw the movie except for me.  My parents were not well off financially and viewed going to the movies as a luxury that couldn't be afforded.  It was only after months of begging to see the movie that they finally agreed to take me and my little brother to see it.  Believe it or not Star Wars was still playing in theaters as late as February of 1978 which is when I saw the movie for the first time. 

Star Wars left such a mark on my life that I will never forget.  Wish I could get that magical feeling back again.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Pete Dero

Quote from: W8taminute on January 14, 2022, 08:16:46 AM
Star Wars left such a mark on my life that I will never forget.  Wish I could get that magical feeling back again.

Around the same time there was Battlestar Galactica on TV.  For me that show had an even bigger impact.

W8taminute

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 14, 2022, 08:45:30 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 14, 2022, 08:16:46 AM

Around the same time there was Battlestar Galactica on TV.  For me that show had an even bigger impact.

Yes!!  I remember that show as well. 

There was a lot of people comparing Battlestar Galactica to Star Wars at that time.  A lot of sci-fi fans could not equally accept both stories for what they were but insisted one was better than the other.  For me it was all good stuff!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Anguille

Quote from: W8taminute on January 14, 2022, 09:12:06 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on January 14, 2022, 08:45:30 AM

Yes!!  I remember that show as well. 

There was a lot of people comparing Battlestar Galactica to Star Wars at that time.  A lot of sci-fi fans could not equally accept both stories for what they were but insisted one was better than the other.  For me it was all good stuff!
Same here. I just love the original BG movie.

Gusington

My grandmother took me to see Star Wars when it was released in 1977...I was three. She loved it, I stared at the people behind me the whole time :)

I was much more mature when Empire came out but I can't recall seeing in a theater for the life of me.

I do clearly remember seeing Return of the Jedi in a local neighborhood theater and it being the biggest thing since sliced bread. I also remember the Star Wars Christmas special being released :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I had read the paperback book, "Empire Strikes Back" before I saw the movie. I remember thinking, "These people are gonna poop themselves when they find out.....". I wasn't wrong.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

the movies mostly suck and the animated series's are the best part.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

how do you watch the original trilogy and not want to smack the shit our of Luke?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Destraex

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 14, 2022, 11:20:37 AM
I had read the paperback book, "Empire Strikes Back" before I saw the movie. I remember thinking, "These people are gonna poop themselves when they find out.....". I wasn't wrong.  :o

I had read a few novels by the time I got the ROTJ novel. Was really excited until I realised it was literally just a glorified script.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Anguille

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 15, 2022, 01:20:39 AM
Also the old movies? I love the original trilogy and think they are very solid movies (storywise and also from a technical point of view). I agree however that all the following movies have been weaker, mostly the last trilogy (very weak storywise).

Just realised this morning because of a Facebook pool, that Stars Wars: a new hope is one of the very few movies i can rewatch again and again. Ghostbusters and Back to the Future are two others in the list.

al_infierno

Putting aside the whole "groundbreaking for its time" argument, I always thought the original trilogy was a solid set of action adventure sci-fi films.  The dialogue in those films are no worse than the prequels or sequels.  I've never delved into the expanded universe or whatever so I have no context for the animated shows, but I hear they are quite solid as well.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Oche

1.- Rogue One;
2.- A New Hope;
3.- Return of the Jedi;
4.- Empire Strikes Back;

Dammit Carl!

First 3 were okay, the rest (except Rogue One) not quite so much.  Yeah, loved the more-fleshed-out techie stuff like any other gearhead (but space bombers bombing other ships...in space?) but that is about it.

Fully agree about the animated works.

jamus34

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on February 06, 2022, 12:09:45 PM

First 3 were okay, the rest (except Rogue One) not quite so much.  Yeah, loved the more-fleshed-out techie stuff like any other gearhead (but space bombers bombing other ships...in space?) but that is about it.

Fully agree about the animated works.

I could forgive a number of Rainn Johnson's transgressions on that film, like the absolutely pointless Canto Blight side plot.

Gravity bombing in space??? Yeah that's a hard no go for me.
Insert witty comment here.

RedArgo

Quote from: Oche on February 06, 2022, 07:19:57 AM
1.- Rogue One;
2.- A New Hope;
3.- Return of the Jedi;
4.- Empire Strikes Back;

I'd agree with this list.  The rest of the movies are between meh and blech for me and I have no desire to watch any of them again.  I found the Mandalorian to be pretty mediocre too. 

I haven't watched any Boba Fett yet, is it any good?