Looking for a good solo friendly table top game Star Wars or WW2 themed

Started by acctingman, April 27, 2017, 10:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Long story short.....

I play Heroclix, a lot and LOVE it, but I'm finding myself wanting to play another table top game that is solo friendly. I was thinking about one of the Star Wars mini's games, but I think the figs are pretty expensive.

My wife loves the fact that I enjoy gaming, but she is not a gamer herself and I'm trying to find something I can play on the kitchen table while she does her thing. It's all about proximity with her. She loves being in the same room with me  :idiot2:

My love of PC gaming doesn't allow us to be in the same room and while I'm getting a new gaming Laptop that will fix that, I really enjoy table top games.

So, any suggestions?

Star Wars and/or WW2 games in general. Only two areas of interest.

Thanks

bbmike

For WW2 you can pre-order Lock 'n Load Tactical Solo. I did and Heroes of the Pacific along with it. Also, you might consider playing Star Wars RPG solo.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

Fantasy Flight is working on an app for Star Wars Imperial Assault that will make it very solo friendly.  Similar to what they did for Descent.  Also the mini combat portion of the game is easily to play solo since its just moving the minis around the board.  The campaign is doable, but you won't have the "suspense" of not knowing the goal/objective until the app comes out.

acctingman

Quote from: Bison on April 27, 2017, 01:15:39 PM
Fantasy Flight is working on an app for Star Wars Imperial Assault that will make it very solo friendly.  Similar to what they did for Descent.  Also the mini combat portion of the game is easily to play solo since its just moving the minis around the board.  The campaign is doable, but you won't have the "suspense" of not knowing the goal/objective until the app comes out.

I haven't looked at the figures for either SW game, but aren't they kinda pricey? I'll have to look around and see what kind of bulk deals I can find for the mini's

Thanks for the heads up

Nefaro

For solitaire Star Wars board games, Imperial Assault is currently the only possibility.  And the official solo/cooperative app won't be out for awhile.  However, there are unofficial solitaire rules available on Boardgamegeek.  I used a set by Redjack (IIRC) for Descent, which uses the same game mechanics, and it was pretty good (with it's own custom AI activation card deck, etc). 

It's a skirmish board game with RPG advancement & campaign features.  Pretty cool game, even when I was first running it as both sides.  I think the core set usually runs about $60 at many places.  Which is the norm for such a minis-skirmish board game, and a pretty good deal for one with so many great components IMO. 

The old WotC Star Wars Miniatures game was just a really simple cut-down version of their 3rd edition d20 RPG rules, distilled into a minis skirmish game.  I wouldn't bother with getting them for the game, myself, but I did pick up some for use with my Star Wars RPGs from FFG.  They're okay for filling that role, and pre-painted although the sculpts & paint jobs run from passable to poor.  The minis in the Imperial Assault games are much higher quality although they are unpainted. 

If I would've known FFG was releasing the Imp Assault series, I would've instead spent less on the old minis and more on the Imp Assault boxes, for double duty with the RPG.  As it were, I had already picked up quite a few of the old pre-painted SWMs before IA was announced, so my timing was pretty poor.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Not true. There are solo bot systems for Armada and X-Wing available at BoardGameGeek and a solo/co-op campaign for X-Wing.

As for WWII, you could look at Warfighter WWII, Enemy Coast Ahead, The Hunters, and B-17 Flying Fortress.  They're all designed specifically for solitaire play.

Bison

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 27, 2017, 04:53:43 PM
Not true. There are solo bot systems for Armada and X-Wing available at BoardGameGeek and a solo/co-op campaign for X-Wing.

As for WWII, you could look at Warfighter WWII, Enemy Coast Ahead, The Hunters, and B-17 Flying Fortress.  They're all designed specifically for solitaire play.

Yes, but wouldn't IA be closer to heroclix?  In any case X-wing is an enjoyable game too, so that is certainly an option and with less setup/takedown time too.

The other side of IA is mini painting.  So many, many wonderful little Star Wars minis crying out to be painted.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 27, 2017, 04:53:43 PM

RAF is another solitaire game.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Cyrano

DVG's Warfighter WWII is an excellent solitaire game.  I'd recommend Ambush even more enthusiastically but, unless you get lucky, it's a mite expensive.  It is the best solo TTG I can recall playing.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: Cyrano on April 28, 2017, 10:16:22 AM
Surely DVG will get around to that, no?

Somebody email their bubbly lesbian publicist about it.  She seems to have enough energy to get it done fairly quickly.

bbmike

Quote from: Nefaro on April 28, 2017, 05:36:01 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on April 28, 2017, 10:16:22 AM
Surely DVG will get around to that, no?

Somebody email their bubbly lesbian publicist about it.  She seems to have enough energy to get it done fairly quickly.

?  ??? ?
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak