Time of Crisis: Vassal Learning Game

Started by ArizonaTank, July 23, 2017, 10:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Any interest in a learning game of GMT's Time of Crisis?  So far I am pretty far into my first game, and that is it for my experience.  The game lends itself well to PBEM (asynchronous) play. 

I have a copy of the game, the rules are brief, about 16 pages and can be downloaded.  The Vassal module has everything else needed.

Would be great with 3 - 4 players

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Barthheart

I might be interested in that. I'll download the rules and give them read.... need something to do on this weeks business trip.

Staggerwing

I found a link to the rules on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/uhks4urr7x/ToC_Rules.pdf

AZ, were you thinking a turn every day or two? If so I'd be interested.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 23, 2017, 10:55:36 AM
I found a link to the rules on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/uhks4urr7x/ToC_Rules.pdf

The rules are a pretty easy read, but for me anyway, took some time to understand / digest because in some areas they introduce new concepts. 

Card Flow was my personal hard nut...  the BGG forum link below helped me:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1812277/card-flow

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 23, 2017, 10:55:36 AM

AZ, were you thinking a turn every day or two? If so I'd be interested.

Yes, every day or two per turn.  One of the nice things about the game is that you complete your full turn before going to the next guy.  The only thing we would have to agree on...this being a friendly learning game...would be that you roll for your opponents battle dies to keep things moving.

Although the rules are short they are not always clear.  Sometimes you have to look at the examples to see the intent.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

JasonPratt

Dl'd the rules. I'm hoping I can score a crazy-early win by steadily building up quiet support while other players shoot at each other and not at me.

...I have, uh, precedent for this strategy.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 24, 2017, 08:39:53 AM
Dl'd the rules. I'm hoping I can score a crazy-early win by steadily building up quiet support while other players shoot at each other and not at me.

...I have, uh, precedent for this strategy.  >:D

In ToC...sh#t happens...so sometimes even the quiet strategy doesn't work....you'll see...:)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

So far one player confirmed - DM

Sounds like JP is in.

Staggerwing?

Am thinking of a Friday start 7/28 if that works. 

Rather than use drop box, I will set up a shared google folder to pass files

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Barthheart

Reading the rules it sounds like a more sophisticated version of Conquest of Empire II by Eagle games.

If you need a fourth or a spare I can play.

JasonPratt

Exxxxcelllent!

Next up: learning how to run the VASSAL thing I downloaded years ago... :-[

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Barthheart on July 25, 2017, 07:49:18 AM
Reading the rules it sounds like a more sophisticated version of Conquest of Empire II by Eagle games.

If you need a fourth or a spare I can play.

Great you are in!!! 

Don't know about Conquest of Empire, but ToC is actually much deeper than it appears.  The mechanics are not bad once you get the hang....but the interplay of the parts can be intense.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 25, 2017, 08:53:04 AM
Exxxxcelllent!

Next up: learning how to run the VASSAL thing I downloaded years ago... :-[

OK, you are in!!!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

OK, the players are:

Barthheart
JP
DM
and me

I will set up a google folder and give everyone access for downloading / uploading turns etc.  So Barthheart and JP, please PM me your email addresses, so I can send you an invite.

I have been using Facebook messenger to send notifications out...if you are OK with that...let me know your facebook name as well.  If you would rather not, we could use gmail messanger.  Just use your existing one, or create a throw away one.

Instructions to get started:
1)   if you haven't done so already, download and install the latest version of vassal, I think the version is 3.2.17.  You can find at  http://www.vassalengine.org/
BTW vassal doesn't really care if you and I have a version mismatch for minor revisions.  So 3.2.15 and 3.2.17 talk to each other nicely.
2)   check that you have the latest version of Java.  You can check that here  https://www.java.com/en/download/installed8.jsp
3)   Next download and install the vassal module for Time of Crisis.  The module version is sensitive, so we will need to be on the same one.  I am using version V1-01  You can find it here:  http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Time_of_Crisis 

Double clicking the module should install it.  The first time you use the module it will ask you for a name and password.  The name can be anything you want of course, but it is used for the online meeting rooms.  I use my real name...but not everyone does.  The password is to encrypt the files, you won't need it again.  Just so that if we were playing a serious tournament game, you couldn't hack into other folks files to see their stuff.

One note, you will probably use vassal quite a bit.  So it is probably a good idea to start a vassal folder on your computer, and create sub folders for each game.  I usually keep all sorts of stuff there, old game saves, copies of the PDF rules etc.

The next screen you will be looking at will ask you what type of game you want to play.  Offline would be if you want to play solo, or start a new PBEM game.  It also works for hotseat games.  Look for a game online is when you want to play "real time".  You can also load a saved game.  This is what you would use to load a game file from me.

4)   And now a short vassal tutorial:  Vassal is great just because of its simplicity.  It supports real time play and play by email.  It has two types of game saves. 
a.   One is a static "snapshot" in time.  This a "save" file that you create under the File menu as "save game" or "save game as".  For our purposes we likely will not use this type much.  But they are very small, and easy to create, so there is no harm in saving often.
b.   The other file is a "log" file, that when loaded, allows you to "view" the moves it recorded.  This is done with a step button (the step arrow on the toolbar).  With each button push it plays one step of the other player's movement.  When you play our first file, you will actually see my initial set up being stepped through on the board.
c.   When you get to end of a log file, a menu pops up to ask if you want to start a new log file.  This is so that you can start recording your turn to send back to the next player.  So typically you will say "yes."  However if you forget, or want to start a log file out of sequence, you can start one under the "File" menu "Begin Logfile".  One "bad" thing that can happen is that you forget to "begin" the log file, and play your turn.  In that case it will not be recorded.  Don't panic, just use a regular save.  It will only be a snapshot but I should be able to figure out what you did.  "End Logfile" is how you stop recording your turn.  The file you create can then be sent to me.
5)   And now...the game: 
a.   I will set up a google folder and share with you.  You should get the invite in your email.  I will upload new files there.  I believe you will get some notification when I do it. 
b.   To get the game going, I will put a start file together and set up as the red player.  Then I will pass around to have everyone else set up. 
c.   When you get the game start log file, you should be able to just double click on it, and vassal will load the module automatically.  If not, you can start vassal.  Select the module, and load a saved game file; pick the log file you just downloaded.
d.   Once you get the file loaded, it may ask you what side you want to play (for the first time), so select the color I give to you.  Then you will see the board, and a running log.  BTW, you can type messages in there to either log action, or send the next player a message.  You will have to use the step forward button (2nd from the left on the toolbar) button to step through my turn.  When you get to the end, it will ask you if you want to start a log file...say yes, and give it a name.  If for some reason you missed this, don't panic.  You can start the log using the "File" menu "begin log" item.  The naming convention we use is date time color or name.  So "0725 2210 Blue ToC.vlog"  That helps them sort correctly in the google folder.  I guess OK to use your name as well...0725 2210 Barthheart ToC.vlog"
e.   BTW, since this is a friendly game, you can actually change sides if you ever need to (ie. some auto script is waiting, or we decide to let it happen to make the game go faster.  To do that, there is a toolbar item.
f.   For the initial file, we will just be setting up.  Pick your province, pick your starting hand, set up your on board pieces, governor, general, and legion.
g.   A note on how to use the card decks in the module.  On the toolbar you will see a button with your color.  If you hit it, you will bring up a new window, with your "hand".  It will not have any cards the first time.  In ToC, you are managing three separate piles of cards.  Your hand, your available pile, and your discard pile. You can only select cards for your hand from your available pile.  At game start, you have nine cards in available.  3 of each type.  To select them and put in your hand, hit the select button.  You will get a scroll down list of each card available.  You "select" them for your hand by right clicking on them and selecting: "select this card for your hand".  For now, select five cards for your hand.  This is a learning game, so no wrong choices. We will worry about discards later.
h.   Then, do not forget to end the log file you started in "d" above.  Upload the file to me and we go to the next step.  The file will be saved, so just upload it.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

JasonPratt

You should alert GJK about this, too; he loves vassal!

My email is easy, just click on the little envelope icon in my sidebar under my photo.

Barthheart