Platoon level games

Started by acctingman, October 03, 2017, 08:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Gents

After playing a dozen or so solo fights with CoH I've come to realize something. The game scale is too small for me. I'm going to head over to BGG and do some research, but I thought I'd ask you professional card board junkies.

Throw me some names to some nice platoon level WW2 games.

:notworthy: to your wisdom and  O0 your insight!

BanzaiCat

bayonetbrant

Advanced Platoon Leader

PanzerGrenadier - if you can get around the wonky leader-activation mechanic

LNLP's reboot of the Nations At War series

PanzerBlitz / Panzer Leader

the Death Ride series has German platoons and Russian companies (note: highly detailed)

Memoir '44 is platoon-ish, but maybe too abstract for what you're looking for

Is the War Storm series squad- or platoon-level?  Squad, right?

(Valor & Victory is squad level, no?)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

LnLP Nations at War is a good system. Easy to learn. Fast paced. They have a West front 44-45 module, an East Front module and a North Africa module.

https://store.lnlpublishing.com/series/nations-at-war-series OR see the ads that come up on here at Grogheads.

Rules are here:
http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/nations-at-war-core-living-rules-final-edition.134/

Plus there's VASSAL modules.

Barthheart

Advanced Platoon Leader is squad level despite the name.

Valor & Victory is squad level.

acctingman

You guys are the best!!

Has anyone tried Paths to Hell?

acctingman

I've got it down to 2 systems (after a crap ton of videos and reviews on BGG)

Operation Dauntless

White Star Rising

I was considering Paths to Hell, but I've read quite a few comments about clarity issues with the rules.

Barthheart

Both are good. Op Daunt is more crunchy. NaW is easier to learn.

bob48

Quote from: acctingman on October 03, 2017, 09:00:21 AM
You guys are the best!!

Has anyone tried Paths to Hell?

No, but I have the other 2 games in the 'War Storm' series. I like them a lot, and they actually have a decent C&C system. Neat games  O0
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

acctingman

Thanks Barth!  :notworthy:

and you too Bob!  :notworthy:

gameleaper

I think the superb "crossfire" maybe bolt action. I only looked at these briefly do a youtube on them, they are 1 squad per fig but they scaleup . crossfire is really interesting no measuring , you go from terrain to terrain and you can keep moving until initative is lost, I know you asked for platoon, you do play platoons bit with a few figs, there are plotoon commanders

MengJiao

Quote from: acctingman on October 03, 2017, 04:03:57 PM
I've got it down to 2 systems (after a crap ton of videos and reviews on BGG)

Operation Dauntless

White Star Rising

I was considering Paths to Hell, but I've read quite a few comments about clarity issues with the rules.

I can't recommend Op Dauntless as a platoon level game.  There are plenty of platoons, but the scale is 450 meters and an hour and a half.  Also it is about as far from Panzerblitz-style play as you can go and still have lots of tank platoons.

acctingman

OP Dauntless looks good, but yea, too big for me.

Paths to Hell looks good, as does the Nations to War series.

However, I keep drifting back to Panzer.

Curse my teeny weeny wallet!

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments

BanzaiCat

Not sure how 'platoon level' you want to get, but War in the Wind (by Compass Games) is platoon/company-level.

MengJiao

Quote from: acctingman on October 04, 2017, 04:58:05 PM
OP Dauntless looks good, but yea, too big for me.

Paths to Hell looks good, as does the Nations to War series.

However, I keep drifting back to Panzer.

Curse my teeny weeny wallet!

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments

Panzer is pretty good -- 100 meter hexes, single tanks are single tanks.  I would recommend it except that the base game has such a pointless map.   You have to get one of the expansions to get nice Panzerblitz-style geomorphic maps.