What is the best cold war ruleset I can use/adopt/homebrew?

Started by Aesthetics43560, March 05, 2020, 06:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aesthetics43560

So, I initially wanted to get into team yankee, but I dont think can stomach painting miniatures and basing them and all that.

So I got a 36 inch by 36 inch hex grid mat with 1 inch hexes. I made counters of a ton of cold war vehicles and units. Im excited because I can essentially print out new units as I think them up. I'm planning on buying Hexdraw so I can make modular terrain overlays.

Now all im missing is a ruleset to use with them. My preferred scale would be individual vehicles and infantry squads.

I considered adopting team yankee to hex and counter, but using counters on a 4x6 foot table i think is a no go. Would be too disorienting and the counters would be too hard to keep track of as they are smaller than miniatures. So I settled on 36x36 inch is an arbitrary max size for my playmat. With this I would think that each hex could represent either 50m or 100m (100 would be most realistic I think for max tank ranges)

And obviously team yankee isnt made for a playspace that small so adapting the weapon ranges wouldnt really work well, as most tanks have something like 40 inch range.

So basically im looking for a game system that I can use/adopt/modify/homebrew to simulate cold war era.

I considered Valor and Victory, but being a WW2 game I would have to go through and rethink stats, make up rules for certain modern combat things etc.

The closest game seems to be MBT by GMT however its out of print and also maybe too complex.

Any ideas? Id really like to avoid just making my own game from scratch lol.

Barthheart

Aesthetics43560

Didn't consider that! I'l look through the rules, thanks.