Main Menu

THEC64

Started by MiniHexer, June 22, 2021, 03:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniHexer

ok I fixed a coin count bug, & expanded the graphics, but i ran out of memory while trying to draw it with better graphics

https://manyone88.itch.io/c64-fruit-machine-coded-2021-c64

the reasons why not first.

Well first off I thought all these Retro machines were just a mini arcade box.

I thought the games would be dated.

I thought no one would use or dev the games.

I found the new full sized THEC64 for sale on amazon, and I found myself researching it, most emulators never recreated a retro consoles without perfect keyboard and joystick and executables. the c64 mini was just a box with lets face it dated games.

--------------------------------------------
the reasons for it as I found them

I bought THEC64 first because I saw they run the thousands of games you can download and put on a FAT32 USB stick, and the Price was equivalent to the original C64.

then the quality when I opened the box , gave me goose-bumps like my first one in the 80s, it was made with love I can tell you

Next it acts just like the original hardware, the system uses the same software as the original, you can fire up basic and use it just like the original, but on any TV with HDMI,

so its now NOT restricted to tape drives and old TV monitors, but still keeps the C64 working like the original

NOW CAME FOR ME THE crunch, you can distribute your C64 games you write on itch.io. now this interested me, so I looked at a book called 'RetroGameDev C64 Edition Volume 1' and found it advertised a free IDE environment called 'CMB rpg studio' and  the VICE emulator, so I could trust the tools, and downloaded them as they were recomended and had awards from the book.

the IDE also have designers for the graphics, and exported straight to your game. this interested me because in the 80s game art was simple and you did not have to be an artest, just a programer.

then I thought the joystick would be expensive but it was not it was £17.

The THEC64 console is a brilliant recreation of the original and I feel there is an outlet for my work on itch.io and I swear I feel like I'm back in the 80s roots, the programing was just as rewarding as it was back then, you can do an ASM dump and export the code in Hex and then feed it in as data into a basic program. the free IDE is great! quick! and proffessional!

it above all is fun and a great side line to our hobby, I would recomend anyone from the 80s to get one, the young guys wont feel the buzz like us, it just feels like opening the box of my first computer, thec64 team must of been c64 devs back in the day, because they did it well.

Gusington

How'd it smell? I will always remember (fondly) that new plastic smell of those Commodore machines, including the VIC-20, the C-64 and the Amiga.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MiniHexer

What supprised me was how sterdy it was, and it came with a shiney plastic joystick. the packaging was also a plastic shell, so you would of liked it, the box was sealed in plastic, it was just like opening a treasure.

Gusington

You speak my language  :smitten:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Color me intrigued...   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Man, I'd have married my Amiga back in the day but unfortunately it wasn't legal back then. Except for California I think.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Ok, now that was funny.   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MiniHexer

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 22, 2021, 10:11:54 PM
Man, I'd have married my Amiga back in the day but unfortunately it wasn't legal back then. Except for California I think.

Im sure you would of made sweet music together :)

Staggerwing

Quote from: MiniHexer on June 22, 2021, 10:52:46 PM

For that you'd want an Atari ST with its built in MIDI ports...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MiniHexer

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 23, 2021, 05:30:25 AM
Quote from: MiniHexer on June 22, 2021, 10:52:46 PM

For that you'd want an Atari ST with its built in MIDI ports...

so were talking about models now :)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

PERVS! My Amiga was a Lady. A wholesome, nurturing, caring Lady who would bake cookies and cupcakes for me if she had hands and arms. And she was LOYAL unlike those whorish consoles who would just let anybody fondle their controllers. And she NEVER laughed at me when I got my ass shot-off playing A-10 Warthog or Silent Service. Or at least she waited until I left the room first.  I miss her.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MiniHexer

Beginner's Step-by-step THEC64 Coding Course is £25 on amazn

but Kindle Edition is £6.99, so I grabbed it on kindle for that price, it may have relavent info about THEC64 that dosnt appear in C64 books

Staggerwing

^Thanks! I grabbed the kindle version as well. I have both theC64 and several original C-64s and it'll be interesting to see if there is any difference coding on each (other than that I can count on theC64 starting up each time, not something I can say about the original ones...)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MiniHexer

Great glad the info came in of use, I say bring back the 80s