Japan Launches Huge Carrier

Started by LongBlade, August 06, 2013, 07:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

It's billed as a helo carrier, but there's little doubt in my mind that it could easily be converted into a fixed-wing carrier if needed.

QuoteJapan on Tuesday unveiled its biggest warship since World War II, a huge flat-top destroyer that has raised eyebrows in China and elsewhere because it bears a strong resemblance to a conventional aircraft carrier.

The ship, which has a flight deck that is nearly 820 feet long, is designed to carry up to 14 helicopters. Japanese officials say it will be used in national defense -- particularly in anti-submarine warfare and border-area surveillance missions -- and to bolster the nation's ability to transport personnel and supplies in response to large-scale natural disasters, like the devastating earthquake and tsunami in 2011.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/06/japan-unveils-new-carrier-like-warship-largest-in-its-navy-since-world-war-ii/?test=latestnews#ixzz2bBunavTE
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

are they actually banned from having carriers, or is it a self imposed ban?

W8taminute

Hard to tell how big that ship is from the photo but I'm kind of glad Japan is launching this kind of ship. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

820 feet according to the article.

Centurion40

Good for them.

As the Japanese navy grows, perhaps you Americans can save some $$ by cutting the massive size of your Pacific fleet!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Martok

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 06, 2013, 07:51:37 AM
are they actually banned from having carriers, or is it a self imposed ban?
I would say "it depends". 

The article states: 
Quote...because of constitutional restrictions that limit its military forces to a defensive role.
...but that doesn't necessarily prevent Japan from building carriers. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

steve58

Got ninja'd by Longblade in the other thread, but here is a link that has a couple more pics, including an overhead shot.

http://news.sky.com/story/1125173/japan-unveils-largest-warship-since-wwii
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Atilla60

It's a DDH Hyuga Class and it's actually not the first to be launched.

I believe the first (in a series of six) was launched in 2009
Check it out:

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

mirth

The Izumo is the lead ship of a new class entirely and quite a bit larger than the Hyugas.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

TheCommandTent

I wonder how the Chinese feel about this.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

They'll probably be less happy if the Japanese decide to embark F-35s on them.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 06, 2013, 10:01:30 AM
I wonder how the Chinese feel about this.

I read an interesting report on Stratfor about China the other day.

The Chinese economic expansion is about to come to an end. The Chinese can mitigate the timing, but not the contraction. Since their greatest worry is domestic stability, they are going to have their hands full over the next couple of decades just trying not to have too many riots in the streets. Their days of adventurism on the high seas are likely to come to an end.

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on August 06, 2013, 08:27:24 AM

That actually slightly longer than the IJN's Kaga and 35 feet shorter than the Akagi. 55 feet shorter than the Essex class carriers.

Damn big destroyer if you ask me.                                                               
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 06, 2013, 07:12:35 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 06, 2013, 08:27:24 AM

That actually slightly longer than the IJN's Kaga and 35 feet shorter than the Akagi. 55 feet shorter than the Essex class carriers.

Damn big destroyer if you ask me.                                                             

I have no doubt that they would be able to convert that to fixed wings if needed.