Main Menu

Age of Wonders 4

Started by RedArgo, January 19, 2023, 01:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

You know when I saw this I was thinking it was age of mythology. I don't even think I know the difference.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Age of Mythology: classical (neo-classical, mytho-classical??) RTS like Age of Empires series, factions use peons to build bases, train troops, and send them out to find and conquer enemies.

Age of Wonders: fantasy-themed civilization turn-based game with turn based tactical battles, intended as a proper successor to the original version of this, Microprose's Master of Magic.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Thanks for this. Struck off my list for being turn based   :stormtrooper2:
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Anyone playing? I'm hooked. It's pretty great so far. Customization options for rulers and your empire are really impressive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^I will be purchasing soon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Purchased.....but haven't played yet. 

devoncop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2023, 06:51:34 PMAnyone playing? I'm hooked. It's pretty great so far. Customization options for rulers and your empire are really impressive.

I got this on preorder despite generally refusing to do that after watching quite a bit of You Tube content on it in the last couple of weeks.

I agree with JH on this 100%. It is beautifully presented,, has insanely comprehensive options for faction customisation and the cascading  tooltip system is a thing of beauty that borrows heavily from Crusader Kings 3 without even the need to click on links in the descriptions before being able to hover over a particular word to check out that secondary concept.

I have a couple of hours in on the tutorial scenario playing a race of horde like ratlings and have not had a single glitch, bug or freeze which given it was a Paradox published game is quite something.

Triumph studios who actually made the game definitely lived up to their name with this one?

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

FarAway Sooner

In an effort to curb my family's spending habits in advance of our big Summer trip to Europe (first time in 30 years for me, 20 years for my wife, and ever for the kids!), I made the deal with them that I wouldn't buy anything in the month of May.  Now I hear that this game seems really good so far.

You are a cruel man, Jarhead!    :tophat:

Tanaka

This is the only game I have preordered (premium edition) in a long time and I am loving it. It really is a masterpiece. One of my favorite series and developers.

Gusington

Damn all of you people.

How does this compare to SpellForce: Conquest of Eo?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

I pre ordered it a week or two ago when I started to hear all the previews having glowing thoughts as this typically isn't the type of game I am good at.  It convinced me enough to buy it and look forward to diving in at some point based on the positive comments here.

ArizonaTank

I have been very satisfied with AoW3...but am wondering if AoW4 is so much better/different to warrant the investment.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 03, 2023, 07:57:04 AMDamn all of you people.

How does this compare to SpellForce: Conquest of Eo?

You know I like Spellforce Gus but this one has much more replayability as a result of totally random map generation ability as well as probably 20 or so designed maps including linked story campaigns.

The options when you set the game up allow you a very large amount of control over the type of map you are creating (geography and size wise) but also the distance between players, type of the most common monsters you will be facing (in addition to the regular factions that will be trying to win the game against you) and environmental challenges. I have only tackled the initial tutorial campaign (on normal) and after a few hours play I have 3 cities and three army stacks but am only ranked 2 out of 3 on most metrics but have made several mistakes as I was learning.

It is better visually than Spellforce Conquest of Eo and the variety of battle maps is much bigger.

Like Spellforce the naval game is not very fleshed out or involving so I would not recommend taking naval perks on faction creation..... I don't mind this to be fair.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

^You should take a job in marketing at Triumph Studios  :tophat:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

Curse you all.....wishlisted (waiting for that first sale though)