So. We got a cat. So far I am thoroughly underwhelmed

Started by Huw the Poo, March 30, 2016, 03:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

My two are different as chalk and cheese. Both are rescues. One is older and had been a stray before we got him. He's often quite antisocial, can look after himself, and he terrifies some of the neighbours cats. He is a good hunter. He can be quite affectionate, but usually only on his terms. He and my son get on very well.

The other is much younger. A rescued kitten, a ginger and white short hair, he's turned out a complete softie. He is also part Siamese (we think). He got his first kill - a mouse - the other day, and was very proud of himself.

Both wrestle from time to time, which is fun to watch, although the tabby sometimes gets a bit brutal in his play and we have had to intervene. Fortunately our ginger hasn't been badly hurt, and is never really fazed for long. He just loves to play and will stalk the tabby just for the fun of it. The ginger will sit next to me when I'm on the PC and likes to lie down on my keyboard, which almost always gets attention - not so stupid after all!
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Boggit on April 03, 2016, 01:47:45 PM
He got his first kill - a mouse - the other day, and was very proud of himself.

I hope ours turns out to be a good hunter; we have had mice a couple of times, and of course now that we have a cat we're unable to put traps down any longer.

steve58

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 01, 2016, 05:28:06 PM
She made real progress tonight.  She's sat on everyone's lap for quite some time each, and all told she spent more time downstairs than upstairs today. :)

Sounds to me like she's looking for her "person".  While cats can/may be quite friendly to all the resident peoples, they tend to gravitate towards one in particular. 

10 years ago, my wife picked up a crying 9 day old kitten in Tennessee across from her late father's house.  The kitten was in an old trash barrel that the locals had used to burn trash.  I suspect Momma cat was either moving her litter to/from the barrel when my better half intervened.  My wife raised that little kitten, bottle fed him, wiped his little kittie butt and even spent a few nights on the hard floor sleeping next to him.  While he loves her and hangs with her too, guess who he picked as his person...and it irritates my wife to no end to this day >:D
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

RangerX3X

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 30, 2016, 04:16:41 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 30, 2016, 03:46:04 PM
She just sits in her bed all day long.  She comes downstairs for about ten minutes first thing in the morning.  She drags her lazy arse out of bed to eat food.  She will sometimes sit on one of the kids' beds while they sleep.  But 95% of her life seems to be spent in her bed and she absolutely will not come to us if we beckon or call her.

BORING.

What's the point of having a pet you can't interact with?  You may as well be watching TV or some shit.  I wish we could have a dog instead.

Picking a cat is like spinning a roulette wheel. You might land on a cat that's actually cuddly and playful...or you might completely miss the mark and end up with an anti-social asshole.

Arctic Blast is 100% correct – it is effectively a crap shoot. My cat of 15 years died in July 2014 and two days later my wife and I went out and picked up a brother and sister kitten combo from the local pound.

A year + later and the boy cat is super large yet very skiddish and the definition of a scaredy cat. When he does interact he barks and act like a dog, which is strange because he has never been around one.

The girl cat is very smallish but brave as shit and knows no fear. She is the definition of a little princess in terms of sweetness though.

It really is a crap shoot in terms of personality and interaction.

Boggit

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 03, 2016, 02:02:37 PM
Quote from: Boggit on April 03, 2016, 01:47:45 PM
He got his first kill - a mouse - the other day, and was very proud of himself.

I hope ours turns out to be a good hunter; we have had mice a couple of times, and of course now that we have a cat we're unable to put traps down any longer.
We've not had mice since we got the cats. I think they gravitate to safer places.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

besilarius

It has been a whole week with no one noticing this thread.
No one daring to post.
Now, let us hear from Henri, the existential cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7ibPk37_U&list=PL1C665E09E6F1214F
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

Henri is amazing; always great to remember he's alive.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Nearly two years on, and I am still as thoroughly uninterested in the bloody cat as she is in me.

As it stands, she actually trusts me and my lady; she'll come to us and sit in our laps (with a lot of encouragement), but she's still quite wary of the kids because they're so energetic.  She hates movement of any kind.

I don't fucking like cats, and this one is a prime example of why.  They're more decoration than pet.  You just can't do anything with them.  They're totally pointless.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 16, 2018, 08:04:00 PM
Huw!  Yay!

How've ya been?

Still alive, me old mucker.  Mostly just resenting the bloody cat.  How are you?

Staggerwing

I'm catless, but other than that I'm rock-steady mediocre and thankful for it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Great to see you back Huw! I was afraid the cat had eaten you.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

undercovergeek