Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Tabletop AARs / Grossbeeren, August 23, 1813
« Last post by MengJiao on Today at 07:46:53 AM »

It's a little odd how quickly things went downhill for Napoleon after he lost half a million men in Russia in 1812.  After all, Stendal got back to Paris at about the same time as Napoleon and was surprised
when no one else turned up.  Never mind, come summer of '13, Napoleon had a central position in Germany stretching from Silesia to Hamburg and 400,000 troops with plenty of artillery to man it.  But not
very many horses and not much food or fodder.

And then weird things started to go wrong.  Marshal Oudinot heads for Berlin with thousands of Saxon, Wuerttemburger, Italian, Bavarian and French troops, forced marches around the defensive lines put up by ex-Marshal Bernadotte (now the Crown Prince of Sweden) and collides with some very scrappy, ill-trained Prussians who have lots of horses and even more artillery:

Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukraine
« Last post by GDS_Starfury on Today at 07:23:20 AM »
seems theres been a bit of sabotage at the nordstream pipelines.

Current Events / Re: What's Cool in Science This Week?
« Last post by steve58 on Today at 06:57:27 AM »
View of impact from an earth-bound telescope.  Clearer views should be forth coming from the LICIACube, Hubble and JWST.

https://twitter.com/fallingstarIfA/status/1574583529731670021

https://twitter.com/astrosnapper/status/1574578176214196225
Computer Gaming / Re: Hearts of Iron 4 - By Blood Alone DLC
« Last post by Ian C on Today at 02:57:28 AM »
Tutorials for the new features:

« Last post by Crossroads on Today at 02:44:58 AM »

-snip-

Anyway, sorry no PM.  Hope you forgive me.  I actually respect your responses here Jarhead because I respect the horror of the situation.  I hate the destruction of lives here.  I just want my opinions public.

I do think every opinion here is valid and this thread is important.  As a historian this is a moment in the making.  We'll be discussing this and debating it hopefully for decades to come.

That was a good post and I'd like to reiterate the moment in history as well. Putin ordered Russia to wage a war against Ukraine with a genocidal intent. This is a fact. The purpose of denazifying Ukraine was nothing less of that either you as a Little Russian agree to live under Big Russians, or you're sent to filtration camps as a nazi. The Russian News Agency actually published a lengthy news item the day after invasion congratulating Putin for having unified Belarus and Ukraine to Russki Mir once and for all.

Here's the Anne Applebaum's article on The Atlantic with the source, and here's the waybackmachine article via Google Translate:

Russia is restoring its unity - the tragedy of 1991, this terrible catastrophe of our history, its unnatural dislocation, has been overcome. Yes, at a great price, yes, through the tragic events of the virtually civil war, because now brothers separated by belonging to the Russian and Ukrainian armies are still shooting at each other - but there will be no more Ukraine as anti-Russia. Russia is restoring its historical fullness by bringing together the Russian world, the Russian people together - in its entire set of Great Russians, Belarusians and Little Russians.

Each of us representing the democratic West in our individual countries were then faced with a reality that either we accept this, or we actually do something about it. Not an easy proposition by any means.
Thanks for sharing! i'll try it for sure
« Last post by SirAndrewD on Today at 12:46:29 AM »
one could make a claim that dr oz and dr phil are two of the most viewed doctors in their field.
and yet both are  :2funny:

I've actually worked with both of them professionally in my field.  They are...

Anyway..
« Last post by SirAndrewD on Today at 12:30:14 AM »
^Can you explain in a PM how Jordan Peterson is just a “pseudo-intellectual”? I’m genuinely curious how you come to that conclusion. I’m hard-pressed to imagine that a “pseudo-intellectual” could be one of the top 50 most cited clinical psychologists of all time. I ask for you to enlighten me in a PM since it is not really appropriate for the thread. Thanks.

I disagree with your conclusion of what may be Peterson’s solution to the situation. I didn’t get appeasement from the clip at all, rather, my take away is that the west has boxed itself into a dangerous position that is largely the result of its own making.

No need in a PM.

I say pseudo-intellectual because others have called him that due to his attempts to establish himself in a area beyond clinical psychology.

Also because he's been largely against the scientific consensus in his own field on gender identity.  He's also against the scientific consensus on fields outside his own like climate change.

I do think he's a remarkably intelligent and very coherent and eloquent person.   I don't think he's an expert in the field he's discussing.

My assignment of him as a "pseudo-intellectual" is in him constantly dabbling in fields that aren't his, like climate science, or geopolitics, and claiming to be an expert.

Listen, I have a degree in history, I'm a thesis I've written and a few hours short on my masters I intend to get, I'll get my PhD when I'm finally in a place where I'm financially able.  I've got my PhD backers, done my work my research, and it's on a subject we're talking about in this thread.

I wouldn't DARE to get my grill up in Roman History, or China, or Nuclear Physics, or Psychology.  I dabble in Religion because I was in seminary before I became an agnostic.

But Peterson plays in those fields past his.  That's where the "pseudo-intellectual" comes in.   

In my current job I do sales.  Man, I can sound as smart as he does but not quite be right.  That's been my issue with him.

And I didn't see a good solution by him.

Anyway, sorry no PM.  Hope you forgive me.  I actually respect your responses here Jarhead because I respect the horror of the situation.  I hate the destruction of lives here.  I just want my opinions public.

I do think every opinion here is valid and this thread is important.  As a historian this is a moment in the making.  We'll be discussing this and debating it hopefully for decades to come.
« Last post by GDS_Starfury on Yesterday at 11:07:32 PM »
one could make a claim that dr oz and dr phil are two of the most viewed doctors in their field.
and yet both are  :2funny:
« Last post by GDS_Starfury on Yesterday at 11:04:52 PM »
throws ball back to Andrew on first base...  O0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10