Flashpoint campaigns - Southern Storm (new WW3 game!)

Started by The_Admiral, January 05, 2020, 09:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

The first game became one of my favorites so it was a no brainer for me, even at the surprising price. Purchase, download, install went fine. Lots of good documentation with the game, the manual is available to download and read. I've only played the first tutorial so far but everything about the game is better than the original, looks better [subjective I know], runs better, tons of info to access, its just better. The ability to set SOP's per waypoint is awesome and probably my favorite feature so far. You can have up to 6 waypoints. Dynamically updated situation map...sweet. Infantry survivability looks better, ambushing is possible now, want your carrier to hide or support your infantry, set the SOP. It's a complete evolution from the first game. If some of your favorite things involve studying terrain, and in depth planning while still being manageable you'll be enjoying yourself with this game.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Toonces

Great impressions, budd!  Thanks for posting that.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Groggy

Quote from: -budd- on November 17, 2022, 09:33:39 PM
The first game became one of my favorites so it was a no brainer for me, even at the surprising price. Purchase, download, install went fine. Lots of good documentation with the game, the manual is available to download and read. I've only played the first tutorial so far but everything about the game is better than the original, looks better [subjective I know], runs better, tons of info to access, its just better. The ability to set SOP's per waypoint is awesome and probably my favorite feature so far. You can have up to 6 waypoints. Dynamically updated situation map...sweet. Infantry survivability looks better, ambushing is possible now, want your carrier to hide or support your infantry, set the SOP. It's a complete evolution from the first game. If some of your favorite things involve studying terrain, and in depth planning while still being manageable you'll be enjoying yourself with this game.

From reading the dev log I really like the changes they made to the maps, the UI, and the counters. Having the ability to mute the colors of the map, customize your own interface layout, and pick from multiple looks for the counters (including two different NATO symbols) is just *chefs kiss*. The labor of love they put into this game is enormous. I haven't played Red Storm in years so I might treat myself for Christmas, despite the price. Thanks for the feedback.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

MikeGER

+1

I only have an hour in the game fooling around with the Tutorial1, and spend the rest of the eve reading manual(s) and watching the Twitch stream.
It is really an impressive evolution O0   
more like an simulation then just 'a game'.  I can already smell the military professionals training tool (just like with CMO) shining through.

the price tag hurts, but that's what you have to pay as a wargame - Connaisseur (in the style of food and beverages delicacies  ;))

Tripoli

...If some of your favorite things involve studying terrain, and in depth planning ....

I hate to break it to you, but there is no help for your condition.  But we're here for you, man.  ;D
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

*looks in mirror, worried*

'I love studying terrain...'

:-[

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

Wanted to add to Budds post

If you loved Flashpoint you will really love this game
There is nothing groundbreaking or new but every element has been reworked and improved (caveat I haven't dived too much into the AI portion yet)
Better Graphics/maps
Better speed on running
More tools and easier to use interface
Way more information through tool tips, dialogs - (this was one of my pet peeves on trying to understand why a unit was doing or not doing an action).
Better order, stances, reaction etc
I see myself playing this a LOT if that makes up for any pricing questions.

Con

-budd-

Here's my favorite feature so far, the SOP manager. A lot more options for unit settings. You can change this for each way point, and you can set up to 6 way points now. Under the scope drop down you select the way point you want to change setting for. Yea, it was a bit of a higher price but the more I dig in the more I find that's awesome :bd: of course this is all subjective but this game is somewhere between a game and a sim which suits me just fine. Got to go, i have to get more of my tanks slaughtered \m/

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Uberhaus

Any more feedback on the game?  Clearly, it has just rolled out but a few Matrix forum posters say there are some issues while OTS staff state they are debugging. 

al_infierno

Finally getting around to playing this and my first impression is excellent.  The GUI is slick and easy to read, and while the tutorial could be better, the game feels pretty straight forward if you're familiar with the previous title or wargames in general.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Bardolph

Quote from: -budd- on November 20, 2022, 10:00:27 AM
Here's my favorite feature so far, the SOP manager. A lot more options for unit settings. You can change this for each way point, and you can set up to 6 way points now. Under the scope drop down you select the way point you want to change setting for. Yea, it was a bit of a higher price but the more I dig in the more I find that's awesome :bd: of course this is all subjective but this game is somewhere between a game and a sim which suits me just fine. Got to go, i have to get more of my tanks slaughtered \m/

Reminds me of this in a good way:

Pete Dero

Destraex

I have been interested in a best of breed WEGO game lately.

Are these true WEGO or just WEGO at the top level while both turns play out together but in igougo sequence?
Also does this have phases that mean units cannot be moving while others are shooting beside them?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"