Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Jarhead0331, April 08, 2020, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

I thought I had downloaded that mod and was playing with them, but apparently not, after looking at the "before and after" pictures.  Ah well, I played one more scenario, lucked into a bunch of talented characters at the start, and started out adjacent to 3 different minors (all of whom I've now occupied).  I have such a huge lead that, while I could go ahead and goatstomp the rest of the world, I'm not sure I really need to.

Best choice I ever made was spending my first Fate point getting an AI Sentinel Walker who proved instrumental in bashing my way into an adjacent minor's capital sometime around Turn 12.  The two other GR infantry I found in the first 20 turns of the game also helped...    :knuppel2:

jamus34

Has no one picked up the DLC and have any comments yet?
Insert witty comment here.

W8taminute

Quote from: jamus34 on April 01, 2023, 04:34:31 PMHas no one picked up the DLC and have any comments yet?

I'm also curious to see what this DLC brings to the table. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

-budd-

Picked it up on release, but haven't put a lot of time into it yet. Vic's been sending out beta patches the last few days so I have been restarting generating new planets with the DLC. The 2 main highlights are the new planet types and the Maritime Trade Houses (MTH). No on map navel units for now.

7 new planet types. Various water type worlds.

MTH Concept

Turn 4 of my current start

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

solops

Been playing around with the game. Note that the DLC only works with the new world's that come with it, not with any of the old worlds from the base game.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on April 16, 2023, 08:43:15 PMBeen playing around with the game. Note that the DLC only works with the new world's that come with it, not with any of the old worlds from the base game.

Interesting. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sparhawk

Initial thoughts on Major Update-v1.25

This came out yesterday and I've got a few hours into it by now. I always start with normal difficulty, early tech, one province, militia, and no extra directors. That being said, there are instances where I get rolled over right out the gate. I had a better start than that. This time I had a scene where I was surrounded on all sides and was battling for dear life. If I've got enough breathing room to do that I can usually claw my way into a spot where I develop my little nation for a bit. I ran into some trouble.

There are more techs. In fact all I can really comment on is how not having more tech researched right off the bat is a real challenge. You have to research ammunition factories now and you consume radically more ammo. I'm at turn 50 and spent most of my industrial points on making ammunition the old fashioned way through the workshop. I've finally got an ammunition factory built. By the time I had ammunition factory discovered and researched I was spending all my industrial points on ammo. In the mean time I only had one level of bureaucrat, truck station, solar, scavenger, industry, and a couple metal mines. An ammunition factory pumps out ammo rather fast fortunately. After a couple turns I had over 3,000 ammo. I've finally got the hordes at bay, got some ammo coming in, and can focus on developing my city and expanding.

So, with that knowledge, I would definitely prioritize discovering and researching ammunition factory over other previous outset priorities. Energy seems to be more choked now as well. You can build a couple different beginner power plants depending on if a forest or ruins are near the city. They will potentially help with beginning power needs. Now on to discovering more challenges.

Tripoli

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 23, 2023, 12:14:49 AMInitial thoughts on Major Update-v1.25

There are more techs. In fact all I can really comment on is how not having more tech researched right off the bat is a real challenge. You have to research ammunition factories now and you consume radically more ammo. I'm at turn 50 and spent most of my industrial points on making ammunition the old fashioned way through the workshop. I've finally got an ammunition factory built. By the time I had ammunition factory discovered and researched I was spending all my industrial points on ammo. In the mean time I only had one level of bureaucrat, truck station, solar, scavenger, industry, and a couple metal mines. An ammunition factory pumps out ammo rather fast fortunately. After a couple turns I had over 3,000 ammo. I've finally got the hordes at bay, got some ammo coming in, and can focus on developing my city and expanding.

So, with that knowledge, I would definitely prioritize discovering and researching ammunition factory over other previous outset priorities. Energy seems to be more choked now as well. You can build a couple different beginner power plants depending on if a forest or ruins are near the city. They will potentially help with beginning power needs. Now on to discovering more challenges.

Shades of the current conflict in the Ukraine?  Interesting how some of the lessons learned from this conflict may be starting to be applied in gaming (and real world planning). 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

88mmkwk

Just went and took a peek at the detailed update document at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WBBPZEg_vEy9bvknOq4GDlWC-iXGWvl2hsAKU-LawxM/edit?pli=1

TWENTY TWO pages of updates!  Detail such as updated water salinity calculation adjusted by amount of mountainous terrain.  Wow.  I have always had great respect for Vic's update to his games, but to get 22 pages of updates without requiring purchase of a DLC is amazing (you hearin' me Stellaris??!!).  Props to VR Designs for an amazing game and support model...
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Geezer

Another game I need to get back to. 
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw