Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Approximately how long would troops in the pic be able to operate in that environment with that equipment? Are we talking hours or minutes here?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 30, 2022, 11:25:46 AM
Approximately how long would troops in the pic be able to operate in that environment with that equipment? Are we talking hours or minutes here?

You mean the pictures I posted? Depends how cold and windy it is, and if possible to warm up somewhere. It used to be forest and darkness were our friends, but with drones with TI capabilities, a tent with a woodburning stove would really lit up there.

Without fires, cold tents but safe from elements, no sleeping bags. Three days? It would be truly miserable towards the end though.

Add winter grade sleeping bags, and being able to stay dry. Two, three weeks? Even longer?
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Sir Slash

Longer than I imagined. Thanks Crossroads.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

russians are now using corpses with paper faces as decoys for drones....
its not a gruesome video.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1598085616432222208
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!

Crossroads

A long read with 70 pages, and the first proper analysis of Russia's Invasion to Ukraine I've seen. As the authors state, this should not be considered an academic study, as they acknowledge they only have the material available Ukraine agreed to. Also, stops after the first two phases of the invasion, initial invasion and the consecutive Russian regrouping to annex Donbass as a whole. Ukrainian counter offensive materials were still considered to remain under the covers.

A couple of observations from the report:

First, the intension of the invasion as to erase the Ukrainian independence and culture, with all Ukrainians categorised into four categories, where the first category are to be liquidated immediately, the second to be coerced and intimated into submission. Reports of house to house searches with lists of names, executions and torture chambers would seem to corroborate this. Stalin would have been proud.

Another observation: Russian weapons systems are very effective, and their more experienced troops performed very well. However, the cost of the operational surprise Russia achieved was that the lower echelon of commanders were informed about the plans just before the invasion, while soldiers themselves remained unaware of what's about to happen. Confusion followed.

Finally, an interesting comment on drones. While all echelons should have anti UAV capabilities, the report also observes the average lifespan of a commercial drone is three flights, while military grade drones may last six flights.

Wanted to read this before posting. Have a look, a recommended weekend read for sure, plenty of stuff from EW to tank and artillery tactics, and a final chapter as recommendations for UK armed forces, valid for any modern army I'd say.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1597943870154997761

https://static.rusi.org/359-SR-Ukraine-Preliminary-Lessons-Feb-July-2022-web-final.pdf
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

fran

Ukraine war: New images show Russian army base built in occupied Mariupol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63846154

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

steve58

Ruptured barrel of Ukrainian 152mm howitzer D-20 (M1955)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1585147264518889473

...and the US is setting up a field artillery repair center in Poland

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1596641862882062336
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

FarAway Sooner

Crossroads, in the Carroll interview of the British analyst mentioned a few pages upthread, the Brit also observed that, in the airspace over Ukraine, expensive military-grade drones don't seem to last that much longer than lower-cost civilian ones that are weaponized.  The Brit specifically observed that American UAVs, like the Predator, were built for low-intensity conflict, where they pack considerable firepower and can loiter over targets for extended periods of time.

In a high-intensity conflict like Ukraine, he suggests that it's looking like low-cost and one-shot drones (e.g., the US "Switchblade") that can arrive in great quantity and be easily replaced are likely to be much more cost-efficient.  He stated that we now know that all the footage of the Turkish Bayraktar drones we were seeing released by Ukrainian media for months on end was all footage taken over the first week of their deployment and then dribbled out as misinformation.  The Bayraktars were effective, he said, but only for one or two weeks before the Russians adjusted their AA doctrine.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gusington

Putin is so full of shit, would anyone even notice if he soiled himself?  ;D

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury