Main Menu

NYC PSA

Started by W8taminute, July 19, 2022, 03:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Can anyone who lives in the area confirm that this PSA was aired locally?
I've also seen pictures of instructions regarding surviving nuclear attacks posted in shopping malls. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Yes. It was aired locally.

There is nothing to gain by posting about it here though, unless you have a serious interest in discussing preparedness for nuclear attacks. Otherwise, comments of a political nature will be removed.

Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

I understand.  I don't intend this to be political. 
More of checking the validity of what I read. 

Don't worry JH, I'm trying to behave.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

al_infierno

To keep the commentary apolitical, it still is pretty surreal to see this kind of thing aired when it feels right out of the Cold War.  Maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't recall publicly broadcasted nuclear attack preparedness warnings basically ever since the fall of the Soviet union?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on July 19, 2022, 10:20:02 PM
To keep the commentary apolitical, it still is pretty surreal to see this kind of thing aired when it feels right out of the Cold War.  Maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't recall publicly broadcasted nuclear attack preparedness warnings basically ever since the fall of the Soviet union?

There is no doubt that this broadcast was unusual and that as a result, it created a lot of fear and concern. However, the emergency services department responsible for airing it has advised that there is no particular or specific known threat that prompted this programming and that it is just another tool for general  emergency preparedness.

I find the content of the broadcast more amusing than anything else...go inside, stay away from windows, take a shower....really?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Silent Disapproval Robot

Why mess with perfection?

W8taminute

I vaguely remember one of my high school teachers mentioning that when he was little they used to teach the duck and cover under a school desk. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

That or get in a handy fridge.  They stop radiation and physics!   I remember finding a fridge with a skeleton and a fedora in it in Fallout 4 and getting a chuckle.

Gusington

I can't be the only one here old enough to have actually done duck and cover drills at school - the last one I remember doing was in 1986, I was 12, at my elementary school in Brooklyn.

And at this point the local NYC news has me believing that nuking NYC might be a serious improvement from the current filth, crime and general chaos.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2022, 07:58:19 AM
I can't be the only one here old enough to have actually done duck and cover drills at school - the last one I remember doing was in 1986, I was 12, at my elementary school in Brooklyn.

And at this point the local NYC news has me believing that nuking NYC might be a serious improvement from the current filth, crime and general chaos.

I did them in grade school down in Texas.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Silent Disapproval Robot

I never had to do the duck and cover drills but they did make us watch Threads and The Day After and then have a school assembly about it.

Stupidest drills I had to do were in Japan.  They have these ridiculous "anti-stabination" polearms on a rack in the principal's office.  We were supposed to grab them and pin would-be school stabbers to the wall with them.  As the token foreigner, I always had to play the assailant while some 95 lb woman and chain-smoking 60 year old immobilized me.

Gusington

^That is unlike anything I have ever seen.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on July 20, 2022, 09:05:01 AM
^That is unlike anything I have ever seen.

I've seen those on forklifts for picking up barrels! (We have one on a forklift less than fifty feet from where I'm typing.)

More importantly: POLE ARMS!

Sure they're blunt and non-lethal but POLE ARMS!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

It is essentially a sasumata. It is one of a number of tools/implements that were used by samurai police and security forces during the Edo period to arrest criminals without causing serious injury.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup, but at least the old timey satsumatas were kind of badass and had pointy bits.  Ours had rubber end caps to avoid scuffing the walls.