Childhood tv shows

Started by W8taminute, September 20, 2022, 03:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I was not allowed to watch The Day After and still have not seen it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 20, 2022, 08:23:34 PM
I guess I'll give a real response instead of a creepypasta...

So...

Speed Racer
Star Blazers
Twilight Zone
MASH
Star Trek
Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century
Battlestar Galactica
Dr. Who
The A-Team
Knight Rider
Airwolf

TV Movies or miniseries...

The Day After (TRAUMATIZED)
V

Those were the formative ones.

I actually liked your creepy pasta.  You made some good points. 

A few of you mentioned Star Blazers.  That was a good show.  Here is a little treat...

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on September 20, 2022, 08:36:44 PM
I was not allowed to watch The Day After and still have not seen it.

Watch it.  Seriously. 

It's a massively important historical document. 

In my published paper on Reagan and Dobrynin and the end of the Cold War, I did an entire section on The Day After and on what it did mentally and emotionally to Reagan.

Only watch it once though....it's rough.  But it's one of the most historically important films of the 20th Century on how it influenced American policy and the Cold War.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

pfft... watch Threads and get even more scarred.

or watch both in the same afternoon and become a prepper.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 20, 2022, 09:21:06 PM
pfft... watch Threads and get even more scarred.

or watch both in the same afternoon and become a prepper.

Yes, Threads is worse.

I didn't see that till I was an adult though, and this is a thread about childhood films.  I don't think Threads aired in the US. 

I mean, want to talk about Nuclear War films, lets bring in When the Wind Blows.   YEEESH.  I mean..baby's first intro to stress induced alcoholism.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

^I have seen Threads and wish I could un-see it, especially in light of Russian behavior the last...100 years.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

I remember seeing The Day After when it came out. It was a long overdue look at the topic but I found myself disappointed by Hollywood's gross lack of understanding of some of the realities and the magnitude of such an event as well as some really cheesy scenes. The poor acting and directing near the end where a dying Jason Robards (?) gets a hug ruined the whole show for me.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

GDS_Starfury

theres also By Dawns Early Light which is almost light nuclear storytelling.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gusington

^I still have to watch that...queued it on Amazon on your recommendation.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 21, 2022, 04:49:05 PM
theres also By Dawns Early Light which is almost light nuclear storytelling.

Dawn's Early Light was really really solid. 

I was very excited when I heard AMC was doing The Last Ship, which was an amazingly good novel of nuclear war and its horrendous aftermath. 

My disappointment when I heard they were deleting the entire nuclear war storyline was.....extreme.  I heard some that said the show was good anyway, but that was a lost opportunity to adapt a very solid and at times disturbing novel.

Anguille

Here are the shows i loved as a child (maybe i forgot one or two). It's a very tough choice so i'll make a top selection but they could almost all fit in.

- Grendizer (Goldorak)
- Captain Harlock (Albator)
- Once Upon a Time... Space

- Battle of the Planets
- Star Blazer
- Star Trek TOS
- The Persuaders
- The Saint
- The Avengers (with Diana Rigg and Patrick McNee)
- Magnum p.i.
- The Fall Guy
- Battlestar Galactica
- Buck Rogers

GDS_Starfury

The Last Ship was an excellent book.   :bd:
I toughed out the first season and then let myself forget about the tv series.

Pete Dero

Battlestar Galactica
Space 1999
Blake's 7
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

More teen than childhood : V

I have a lot of those old series on DVD but some things are better left in the past.

Gusington

^V is definitely better left in the past.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Con

I split time between UK and Australia and caught up on US shows during family time with my cousins in the US so my list is a bit different

Skippy
Monkey
Battlestar Galactica
The Goodies
A team
MacGyver
Hitchikers guide to the galaxy
Dangermouse
Day of the triffids
Yes Minister
Only fools and horses
Blackadder
Allo Allo (my German mother hated it)
Hogans hero's (for some reason my mother loved this one)
Grange Hill
Blake 7
Dr Who
Max Headroom
Adventures of Morph
Rentaghost
Tomorrows People - which is still terrifying - look it up