Combat Mission on Steam

Started by Jarhead0331, November 29, 2022, 01:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Has anyone been able to run any of the CM titles on Steam with an installation on a drive other than C:? I've got Shock Force 2, Black Sea and Cold War on Steam and none of them run on my D:, which is where I install all my steam apps. I could have sworn this was not an issue in the past, but I CTD as soon as I run the game. Installing the games on C: restores functionality.

I feel like there was a Windows update that may have created this problem that has not yet been addressed by Slitherine/Battlefront.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

I've just fired up CMCW which is in my Steam library on my F: drive.  Running Win 11.

Jarhead0331

Thanks. Where is your Steam actually installed? My Steam is on the C: but apps are installed on D:...Maybe that's the issue?

I'm on Windows 10. I will try on my Win11 machine.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

planetbrain

I have Shock Force 2 & Black Sea on Z: as is Steam. Win 11(latest update) is on C:
Everything works as does Battles for Normandy also on Z: (but not Steam, of course)
Mostly harmless

Jarhead0331

Quote from: planetbrain on November 29, 2022, 03:20:50 PM
I have Shock Force 2 & Black Sea on Z: as is Steam. Win 11(latest update) is on C:
Everything works as does Battles for Normandy also on Z: (but not Steam, of course)

Interesting...the plot thickens.

So maybe Win10 or having Steam and the games installed on different drives is the culprit?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Zulu1966

Not sure if it helps but I noticed the other day whilst installing one of their games, battlefront version that as the install was running eventhough I directed the install to my D drive as the install process flashed through some files were still being installed to the c drive and when I looked there was a folder structure with games files in it. Don't know how the stream install works but potentially if that is still putting files to your c drive perhaps if they are not there is causing an issue.

I don't use CM games on steam so can't see how the install works but potentially others who have could check to see if anything on their c drives if they set install to a different one for steam games. 
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Wburn

I think you need to go into your Steam settings and point your download folder to your D: drive Steam library to recognize Combat Mission games.
You may also need to update the CM series using the 4.0 update, that could be part of your problem if they haven't been updated. Do you get any error messages or a CM splash screen when you try to start the game?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 29, 2022, 03:54:07 PM
Quote from: planetbrain on November 29, 2022, 03:20:50 PM

Interesting...the plot thickens.

So maybe Win10 or having Steam and the games installed on different drives is the culprit?

I have the main Steam client installed on my c:\ along with a library on my d:\.  I just installed Black Sea on d:\ and having no issues running it.  Running Windows 11.  Didn't require any special pointing of the Steam Library to recognize CM and would assume the download of Steam having all the latest updates necessary to run on Steam so I don't think that would be the issue.  A mystery for sure.

Sigwolf

I'm on Win10 with Steam installed on C: and the steam library split between C: and D:.  CM games installed on D: run without issue here.

Old TImer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 29, 2022, 01:34:37 PM
Has anyone been able to run any of the CM titles on Steam with an installation on a drive other than C:? I've got Shock Force 2, Black Sea and Cold War on Steam and none of them run on my D:, which is where I install all my steam apps. I could have sworn this was not an issue in the past, but I CTD as soon as I run the game. Installing the games on C: restores functionality.

I feel like there was a Windows update that may have created this problem that has not yet been addressed by Slitherine/Battlefront.

I've got a couple of Combat Mission titles installed on D:\SteamLibrary\Steamapps\common etc etc
Steam itself is installed on my C drive but all the actual good stuff is on D: as above.

Rutillo

Quote from: Sigwolf on November 29, 2022, 07:18:39 PM
I'm on Win10 with Steam installed on C: and the steam library split between C: and D:.  CM games installed on D: run without issue here.

I'm a loser. Please ban me. I'm sorry for being a spammer. My parents did not love me.

Father Ted

I am a Combat Mission fanboi, but f*ck me if my CMBN install just didn't get removed by, I assume, my AV software.  Just pfft, gone, no input from me.  Now I have to negotiate the obtuse download sequence of games and upgrades in order to get my $75 game back.  For many years i've seen people dis Battlefront on these boards, and I always thought they were being entitled ars*holes, but now I have become one with them.

Old TImer

I think you'll only need to d/l one file to get back up to speed, not including any MODS or scenarios.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Father Ted on December 06, 2022, 07:43:27 PM
I am a Combat Mission fanboi, but f*ck me if my CMBN install just didn't get removed by, I assume, my AV software.  Just pfft, gone, no input from me.  Now I have to negotiate the obtuse download sequence of games and upgrades in order to get my $75 game back.  For many years i've seen people dis Battlefront on these boards, and I always thought they were being entitled ars*holes, but now I have become one with them.

Check your AV software's quarantine : maybe the missing file is there.

This is the reason I exclude CM directories from AV scans.
Just installing it again might not fix it as your AV will probably also remove the new files.

Father Ted

Thanks guys - appreciate the responses.  I'll calm down and try what you suggest.