War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition...what's stopping you?

Started by Toonces, November 29, 2012, 10:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

On sale at Matrixgames for $52.

Honestly, if you don't own this game yet, I want to highly encourage you to get it.  No, you'll never finish the grand campaign probably.  So what?  By the time you burn out and realize you won't finish the game, you will have gotten hours upon hours of enjoyment from the game.

In all seriousness, I feel that WitP:AE is among the best wargames ever made for PC.  It is certainly a classic.  I realize that with Steam sales offering buckets of games for $5, $52 seems like a lot of money, but really this is money well spent for a "groghead".  I say go for it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

It's great but I prefer the non-AE version.  I have both, never finished both.  But still play Guadalcanal PBEM in AE that's running for more than a year in real time.

Tuna

I have both.. yet to jump into AE, even though I've owned it over a year.. I wish the Non AE version would get the resolution patch.. but it seems like that version is abandoned.. That's too bad, because it is a good stepping stone into WitP

Toonces

If they would implement TF waypoints in original, I wouldn't even bother with AE.  AE is just plain hard.

I LOVE the May 1942 start campaign in vanilla.  Easily the best campaign.  Starting just before Midway as the US is the most interesting (from the US side). 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

sandman2575

I've tried maybe 3 grand campaigns, all as Allies (...prospect of playing Japan just too intimidating) --

The thing that has stopped me each time:  I just don't have a clear enough picture of how to strategically deploy my ground-based / logistical assets in the Pacific -- which islands to build up in order to even begin a possible landing in the Solomons.  I support the obvious places like Fiji, Johnston Island etc -- try to get as much material & resources to Oz... and then stuff starts piling up on the West Coast of the US, and I just don't know where to put it!  Add to all that the task of the Commonwealth in India and Burma.... and my head just starts spinning by around April '42.

It is just a massively daunting game -- one I love for what it provides -- it's amazing what they've modelled -- but God is it intimidating.  You can master the overall mechanics with some good effort -- so learning to 'play' isn't really the challenge.  The challenge is how to wed a long-term strategy with the logistics you will need to carry it out.  It's freaking *hard*

I wish AE had a May '42 scenario.  I'd love to start then -- I've never gotten past July '42 in a GC starting Dec. 8 --

Yskonyn

I have it, but I have yet to cross the steep learning curve.
Tried to fool around in the smaller scenarios but those are still pretty time consuming.
One of these days I get around to learning how to play properly. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Herman Hum

Quote from: Toonces on November 29, 2012, 10:30:14 PM
AE is just plain hard
Unnecessarily so, IMO.  Personally, I find the interface time-consuming and arduous.  Most of my time is wasted hunting down commands and clicking a zillion times to accomplish the simplest tasks.  :(
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Kushan

I own both, their on my list of games to play when I retire in 20-30 years.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Greybriar

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 29, 2012, 11:03:17 PM
whats stopping me???

not being retired mostly.

I am retired and even I won't devote the time necessary to play that monster. I'm getting old and life's too short to spend so much of it on one game.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

son_of_montfort

I think that WitP can only be called a "game" in the loosest of definitions.

Besides, I already have a spreadsheet program, and it runs in 1920x1080 resolution...  :P
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Rekim

Once or twice a year I'll fire up the Guadalcanal campaign..and lose it  :)

I aspire to play the GC some day but have few illusions on the commitment it will take to start, let alone finish.

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on November 30, 2012, 12:00:18 AM
I think that WitP can only be called a "game" in the loosest of definitions.

Besides, I already have a spreadsheet program, and it runs in 1920x1080 resolution...  :P

LOL!

The series has certainly felt like work to me.  Mostly due to the interface, I suppose.

Zulu1966

Like most of Grigsby's games - the moddeling is nyper detailed - but he just doesnt know how to build the program around it to support it. Like WITE - which is much less complicated - but still complicated I find while the idea of the game is superb - the software just doesnt support playing it. I like detail - but I have to have some idea WTF is going on to enjoy it. I beleive the game can be as complex as you like if the interface and tools in the product support it but opening up the main campaign scenario is daunting not because of the number of units but I just dont have the tools in the game to play it wihtout it seeming like work.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Herman Hum

Quote from: Zulu1966 on November 30, 2012, 04:45:13 AM
Like most of Grigsby's games - the moddeling is nyper detailed - but he just doesnt know how to build the program around it to support it.

Maybe he should just design the game mechanics and then let someone else design the UI to actually help players get the information they need in the manner they need it.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions