War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition...what's stopping you?

Started by Toonces, November 29, 2012, 10:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyzBP

I'm retiring at the end of the year but won't have any time until then.  If this idea takes flight then I'd love to be put on a waiting list in case someone drops out.

Toonces

I'm with UCG on this.  The only feasible way, IMO, to run an MP campaign with 2+ players per side would be to divide the theater geographically.  Splitting up roles would just take far too long IMO.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tanaka

A multiplayer team game sounds very interesting and fun. I've played one PBEM game as Japan and it is the first turn that is the biotch having to deal with the Japanese economy and all of the moving parts. I did well everywhere except for the Dutch East Indies where my opponent combined all allied carriers and just sat there offshore waiting to destroy anything that approached. Needless to say this allowed me to run wild everywhere else but without that oil I was toast. Many lessons learned.

If I might suggest a great mod if you do not want to deal with the great beast that is the Japanese economy.

Scenario 061 "Simplified Production"
All Japanese plane models except those using jets, rockets and 'foreign engines' use a generic "engine" device, just like the Allied planes do > no more engine management!

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10688&t=309505

GroggyGrognard

Quote from: The_Admiral on August 29, 2022, 11:56:37 PM
Ladies and gentleman, if the price was the main issue for you, rejoice! WitP:AE, friendly price edition O0

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/war-in-the-pacific-admirals-edition

-80%, no less!  :D

That's a helluva deal even if it just sits on my hard drive without investing any time into it.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

undercovergeek

Quote from: Tanaka on August 31, 2022, 10:47:00 PM
A multiplayer team game sounds very interesting and fun. I've played one PBEM game as Japan and it is the first turn that is the biotch having to deal with the Japanese economy and all of the moving parts. I did well everywhere except for the Dutch East Indies where my opponent combined all allied carriers and just sat there offshore waiting to destroy anything that approached. Needless to say this allowed me to run wild everywhere else but without that oil I was toast. Many lessons learned.

If I might suggest a great mod if you do not want to deal with the great beast that is the Japanese economy.

All Japanese plane models except those using jets, rockets and 'foreign engines' use a generic "engine" device, just like the Allied planes do > no more engine management!

That's half the fun as the Japanese!!

FarAway Sooner

I prefer a game that asks me to pick which tools I use to tighten the screws on my planes for each individual airbase and carrier.  When the Americans get that first impact screwdriver in 1943, it really starts to make a difference.

MC

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 01, 2022, 11:22:29 AM
I prefer a game that asks me to pick which tools I use to tighten the screws on my planes for each individual airbase and carrier.  When the Americans get that first impact screwdriver in 1943, it really starts to make a difference.

And don't forget the ability to choose the option to use a right-handed or left-handed hammer!

MengJiao

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 01, 2022, 11:22:29 AM

When I played, I just modded things to give the Imperial Army, Navy and so on a lot of stuff
including the "Thunderball" Nick-based cure-all fighterbomber (a failure!).  To make it fair, I massively upped the political points thing for the Allies
(and added a few things...the Jules Verne CV and such for example) and the Allies crushed
my Imperial stuff pretty fast.  I did that 3 times and lost every time (or gave up by the Summer of '42).  It's really the political constraints that hobble the Allies,
not the Imperial Ambitions of the Imperial Empire, or
so I concluded.  Maybe I was wrong.

undercovergeek

There once was a very gamey aar - I'm unsure whether the game ends if the VPs total is achieved - because there is an actual VP goal to achieve - and the player just went for all the scoring targets Sydney, Moresby, Philippines, Singapore, other oz stuff

Tanaka

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 01, 2022, 11:04:24 AM
Quote from: Tanaka on August 31, 2022, 10:47:00 PM

That's half the fun as the Japanese!!

Lol yes it can be but you better have someone that knows what they are doing or you are screwed haha...

I would also recommend using the newest official public beta patch some good new fixes in there:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10683&t=386537

FarAway Sooner

Shoot, you guys are starting to get me interested in going back and trying to understand how Radiation Zones affect Logistics in Shadow Empires...

Tanaka

New Beta Patch Now Available:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10683&t=389948

V1.01.27– (Game version shown as 1.8.11.27)
1. Ninth Update – This release is a comprehensive release updating all previous versions to v1.01.27
2. Code Changes

1. Naval support not present at 0(0) port once port is built up
2. Another underway ammo replenishment issue if AE unable to reload the biggest weapon on ship
3. Drawing ship a/c from pool at base uses replacement group if nearby
4. Tweak what is an 'instructor' for TRACOM purposes and allow casualties to them
5. Tweak group training mission not getting many op losses for low experience pilots (increased fatigue of low experienced pilots and aircraft)
6. Aircraft upgrading to blank airframe
7. Mines not removed from ships in non-ML taskforce
8. Repair/maint of seaplane not expending supply (1 point per plane from tender supply if more than seaplane support at base). Exceeding support did expend normal supply.
9. Added confirmation to 'Disband TF' button

Rayfer

Quote from: Tanaka on November 11, 2022, 01:08:37 PM

1. Ninth Update – This release is a comprehensive release updating all previous versions to v1.01.27
2. Code Changes

2. Another underway ammo replenishment issue if AE unable to reload the biggest weapon on ship
4. Tweak what is an 'instructor' for TRACOM purposes and allow casualties to them
5. Tweak group training mission not getting many op losses for low experience pilots (increased fatigue of low experienced pilots and aircraft)
8. Repair/maint of seaplane not expending supply (1 point per plane from tender supply if more than seaplane support at base). Exceeding support did expend normal supply.

Do you know if it is compatable with ongoing campaigns?  I would it would be.  Thanks.

Sigwolf

I can't overstate how awesome it is that a game this old is still getting updates...

Tanaka

Quote from: Rayfer on November 11, 2022, 05:29:10 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on November 11, 2022, 01:08:37 PM

2. Code Changes

Do you know if it is compatable with ongoing campaigns?  I would it would be.  Thanks.

No it is not. There are changes to the data, map, scenarios, art etc that are not listed in the patch notes. I've asked for more details...