Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I really really hope SE Asia is something they're working on quietly. 

This game, for me, shines the most in Vietnam/Korea era. 

I honestly have had such a hard time learning the modern jets/helos because I just keep going back to those old 50's-70's birds.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Tripoli

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 19, 2022, 01:57:18 PM

I honestly have had such a hard time learning the modern jets/helos because I just keep going back to those old 50's-70's birds.

I so want a replacement for "MiG Alley"
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Tripoli on August 19, 2022, 02:43:36 PM

I so want a replacement for "MiG Alley"

You and me both. 

DCS has most of the airframes to at least be a decent start. 

Nothing out there has anything close to that Campaign though.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 19, 2022, 01:57:18 PM

I guess my only concern with a SE Asia map is the impact it will have on FPS. There will be a lot of jungle and complex terrain down there, but they do seem to be getting better at optimizing the terrain modules.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I'm afraid the engine won't take it from what I understand about its limitations. 

The Marianas map gives me hope, but even then it's the map that actually pushes my system a bit.

Korea might be a better option if they limited the size and scope of the map.

Skoop

I wonder if doing a separate north Vietnam / Laos Thai airbases map would make it manageable.  Then do a separate south Vietnam Cambodia map.  I think this would be the best compromise for fidelity and fps.  It would work because the north and the south were 2 totally different air campaigns.

Going down town Hanoi in any of the current or soon to be Cold War birds would be epic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on August 19, 2022, 07:58:07 PM
I wonder if doing a separate north Vietnam / Laos Thai airbases map would make it manageable.  Then do a separate south Vietnam Cambodia map.  I think this would be the best compromise for fidelity and fps.  It would work because the north and the south were 2 totally different air campaigns.

Going down town Hanoi in any of the current or soon to be Cold War birds would be epic.

That would be a tough call. It would cause a division in the Route Packages, as well as the availability for missions from Yankee and Dixie Stations. It would also really make modeling the air war hard to do authentically since there was very little A2A combat over South Vietnam and North Vietnamese air defenses were also much lighter over the South, whereas the action over North Vietnam was much deadly with a much more complex threat environment. i agree that having portions of Laos (major sections of the Ho Chi Minh trail snaked through here) and Thailand for US airbases would be really awesome and critical to any map of the AO.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 19, 2022, 11:53:36 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 19, 2022, 11:45:17 AM
... but SE Asia would put me over the edge.

Dern tootin'

Cyprus looks okay...a lot of sea seems to help the frame rate...anyway for the moment I'm enjoying flying over Syria to Cyprus and looking forward
to Sinai and the South Atlantic (deserts and seas).

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 20, 2022, 01:11:38 PM

Cyprus looks okay...a lot of sea seems to help the frame rate...anyway for the moment I'm enjoying flying over Syria to Cyprus and looking forward
to Sinai and the South Atlantic (deserts and seas).

Here is a Mirage over Cyprus in Peruvian Colors.  The little explosion is probably a Mig29, or maybe my Mirage.

SirAndrewD

Just picked up the Mirage in expectation for my full Virpil set. 

Tuesday's the day for the new setup.  Super fast turnaround and $9 shipping. 

Skoop

Which mirage ?  The F1 or the 2000 ?

SirAndrewD

Got the F1...

And the UPS man just came...

Jarhead0331

The cat hasn't wasted any time, I see.

I saw a Virpil teaser video showing an F-16 Grip in the works. Winwing will have some competition there now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2022, 12:49:14 PM
The cat hasn't wasted any time, I see.

I MUST INFECT THEM IMMEDIATELY WITH FUR! -- QUICK, LOOK CUTE WHILE DOING SO!!  >:D

By the way, I wonder if Il-2 1946 has platforms, maps, and a campaign generator for SE Asia areas... I kind of feel like Third Wire was publishing some things along that line, too?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!