Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 23, 2022, 02:37:44 PM

By the way, I wonder if Il-2 1946 has platforms, maps, and a campaign generator for SE Asia areas... I kind of feel like Third Wire was publishing some things along that line, too?

The BAT mod certainly does.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Well, took all day to put together and now I need to remap..well...everything. 

Most of my bindings got deleted in DCS, maybe because I'm slaving the devices? 

IL2 recognizes the control panels and I can assign them in the input selection but they don't seem to work. 

No one ever promised it's plug and play, but here it is for now.

Next step is actually building the cockpit to go around it...

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Cats: "WHERE DO WE EVEN BEGIN!?!"  :D  :hide:

(But seriously, that's a lot of jealousy right there.  :bd: )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 23, 2022, 09:44:28 PM
Well, took all day to put together and now I need to remap..well...everything. 

Most of my bindings got deleted in DCS, maybe because I'm slaving the devices? 

IL2 recognizes the control panels and I can assign them in the input selection but they don't seem to work. 

No one ever promised it's plug and play, but here it is for now.

Next step is actually building the cockpit to go around it...

Wow!  Just Wow.  Even the cat is overwhelmed and in hiding.

SirAndrewD

Fortunately my cat is not a cable chewer, but yeah, after work today it's Cable Management time.

I'm moving most of my flight sim devices over to a powered USB hub to help with that. 

Also I was relieved to see that the Control Panel 3 can be slaved to my throttle.  Apparently there was a new version of the Virpil control software that I hadn't downloaded that added the functionality. 

Setting up with DCS is as usual easy peasy and  finally got all my boxes/axes to work with IL2 last night after disconnecting a few of my DCS only peripherals.  IL2 doesn't like that many devices, but I shouldn't need more than the Virpil boxes for that one. .
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Fewer MFDs on WW2 aircraft. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skoop

Cool thing is IL2 recently added the update that allows you to assign aircraft specific controls.  So some of those aircraft that have all kinds of radiators, prop pitchs, mixture controls...ect, those virpil panels will be great for that. 

Also, the control setup for the F1 is minimal for hotas, but I find myself mapping alot of functions to my hotas that aren't mapped in RL.  My theory is if I keep reaching for the mouse to click a button, I'm mapping it.  Really helped in tense A2A combat not having to reach for some cockpit button to change radar mode or weapons.

Pete Dero

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 23, 2022, 09:44:28 PM

I have exactly the same setup !

But only the table on the right with the mouse, keyboard & Stream Deck  >:D  ;D.

Skoop

Nice setups.  It can seem like a chore getting all those controls setup for each dcs module, but once you do dial it in it's amazing.  Also, when you do dial it in, copy the whole input folder to save all the mappings.  There's a fiddily system for recovering your controls, it's not a simple cut'n paste, but it's way better than remapping everything again.

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

Man that's a slick setup.  I'm still a poor CH Fighterstick guy.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I'm flying from two stations now.

The first station has:

Winwing Super Libra F-18 flight stick
Winwing Super Taurus F-18 Throttle and flight pad
Winwing Take-off Panel
Winwing Combat Ready Panel
Three (3) TM Cougar MFDs
TekCreations F-18 UFC
Buddy Fox A-10C UFC
Arduino Button Box
MFG Crosswind V3 Rudder Pedals
HP Reverb G2
PointCTRL VR Control Device

The second station is a little more tame as I use it for work, as well. It has:

Winwing Orion 2 Joystick Base with F-16 Viper Grip and EX Shake Kit
Winwing Orion 2 Throttle Base with F-16EX Viper Throttle Grip
TM Warthog Throttle
Virpil VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip
CH Pro Rudder Pedals
Sim Gears F-16 ICP
two (2) TM Cougar MFDs
Varjo Aero VR Headset

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Holy shit, you have a helo collective?!!!   :dreamer:   :notworthy:   :notworthy:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on August 25, 2022, 08:42:12 AM
Holy shit, you have a helo collective?!!!   :dreamer:   :notworthy:   :notworthy:

I had to get it when the Apache came out. I just didn't see any other option. ED forced me to do it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mbar

@Jarhead0331 Wow! I've seen some awesome PC flight sim setups pictured, but that ejection seat! Magnificent!  :notworthy: