Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2022, 11:23:31 AM
Not the most exciting aircraft for me personally, but I'm a DCS slut, so it will be a day one purchase for me. I also dig the cold war era stuff and this jet was operated by some interesting customers.

I agree, not the most exciting, but if you fly it on the Cold War server where it's locked at 60 / 70s aircraft it'll really shine ripping up mig21s.

The development for the F1 is supposed to include 4 versions of the aircraft with a multi role and modern version in there.  Just may take years to get all 4 done and out of EA.  But getting 4 versions for the price of 1 might be worth the purchase.

JasonPratt

Razbam's F15 Strike Eagle demo from July 17th.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Maybe the Strike Eagle will fight on the planet Titan?! (Not to be confused with the moon apparently...)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Alas, what the Strike Eagle doesn't have, is door gunners. ...are door gunners? {grammar perplexity intensifies}

SirAndrewD

FYI Virpil has opened a US branch this week, and they're doing a sale through the weekend. 

I finally pulled the trigger on the full 3 part control panel set, so aside from my Crosswinds I'm now Virpil complete.

https://virpil-controls.us.com/
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Skoop

Same, virpil hotas with crosswind pedals.  Virpil didn't make pedals when I got my crosswinds or I would have gotten virpil pedals too, they are as good as the crosswinds.  They even just released a new toe pusher type of pedal that is like the vkb tflight pedals.

I wonder if the move to the US store is political with them being based in Belarus.  Their forums have a pro ukraine message on the top and I always wondered if this was legit, belos hate putin, or virpil pandering to their number one money making customer base....or both.  Either way, virpil US store is a win win.  Only other hotas company I'd even look at is Win Wing.

SirAndrewD

I'm pretty sure the US store has been something they've been ramping up to for a while. 

It seems their primary motivation was to serve the US market from their new Tampa location and therefore be able to cut out that pesky international shipping cost and time.

They also seem to be opening a storefront in Tampa, so good news for those that live nearby.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Skoop

Been flying the Mirage F1 exclusively on Enigma Cold War server.  Apparently late 70s cold war is a thing in DCS right now...all the rage.  It's forced me to fire up modules I haven't flown in years and wonder why I even bought, but now they show their worth, like the Viggen and the F5 Tiger.  I was even wondering why I got the Hind after the Apache release, but in the 70s cold war, the hind is a beast.  Dogfighting in jets in visual range at low altitude has been really refreshing.

Gusington

How do you like the Viggen?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on August 18, 2022, 03:44:47 PM
Been flying the Mirage F1 exclusively on Enigma Cold War server.  Apparently late 70s cold war is a thing in DCS right now...all the rage.  It's forced me to fire up modules I haven't flown in years and wonder why I even bought, but now they show their worth, like the Viggen and the F5 Tiger.  I was even wondering why I got the Hind after the Apache release, but in the 70s cold war, the hind is a beast.  Dogfighting in jets in visual range at low altitude has been really refreshing.

The F-5 is apparently a really fantastic dog fighter. I've read a lot of books by Air Force and Naval aviators from the cold war era and I'm no longer surprised by how many of them praise this aircraft as one of the best fighters ever produced. Many have even said they prefer it over much more capable aircraft that possess more power and advanced avionics. A couple that come to mind are Dan Pederson, who founded and was the first CO of TopGun, D.D. Smith, who after spending decades in navy fighters became a test pilot and H. Denny Wisely, who flew Phantoms in Vietnam, was part of the US secret program that tested Migs obtained from pilots who defected, was the CO of the Blue Angels and ended his career as a Rear Admiral. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Quote from: Gusington on August 18, 2022, 03:59:24 PM
How do you like the Viggen?

It's really good.  It's been mothballed for years until now with the latest cold war craze.  In the 70s cold war server, it's the best multi-role jet.

SirAndrewD

Well, that was fast. 

My Virpil control panel set with extra mountings has already shipped. 

Interested to see what the time to delivery is when tracking comes in, but the shipping cost is minimal compared to when I got my stick/throttle as imports.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Dammit Carl!

Nice.  Fingers crossed there's a Thud in the mix somewhere at some point.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 19, 2022, 11:43:21 AM
Nice.  Fingers crossed there's a Thud in the mix somewhere at some point.

With the Phantom on the horizon, the Mig suite already in game and now this, there has to be a Southeast Asia map in the works.

They already announced Kola Peninsula and Sinai, so there is a lot to look forward to already, but SE Asia would put me over the edge.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog