"Feeling Old" 2017 Edition

Started by mirth, January 24, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

^That's sad because it's true.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

It's sad because it seems like just a few years ago.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

It's even sadder because the 80's seem like just a few years ago. The horror...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Why is Maverick wearing a Seabees patch?

mirth

TIL:

QuoteOn Maverick's flight jacket there is a Seabee patch (best view is on the movie poster); The Seabees are the Navy's Construction Force. They do not fly aircraft and usually do not deploy on ships. Unless Maverick was a Seabee before he was a "Naval Aviator"?

Matt Cline kindly wrote in to update us: The reason Maverick had a Seabee patch on his jacket, was a nod to the battalion that built a lot of the sets for the movie. NMCB 1 aided heavily in the movie, so it was a thanks to them.

http://www.fast-rewind.com/goofs_topgun.htm

Gusington

That's a pretty awesome tidbit.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

Star Wars appeared in theaters for the first time 40 years ago this month.

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-wars-40th-anniversary-a-new-hope/
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

bbmike

Star Trek V released 28 years ago.  :P
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on May 19, 2017, 07:11:40 AM
Star Trek V released 28 years ago.  :P

That just makes me sad

Pete Dero

Quote from: bbmike on May 19, 2017, 06:48:11 AM

I still have a special edition of this : VHS

Ubercat

Quote from: bbmike on May 19, 2017, 06:48:11 AM

And so began the long, long saga of people calling me Luke Skywalker. (went by Luke most of my life) A few years later, it was supplemented with "Luke, I am your father". To which I learned to respond "Cool, can I borrow the car, dad?"

The most memorable recollection is from an early job as a pizzeria dishwasher. The owners brother, Vinnie, was an ex con, ex mobster who used to say "Yo! Skywalkah, finish the moppin' fast. I wanna get outta here some time tonight!" (read that in the appropriate accent from any Scorsese mob picture)
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

mirth

Have you made out with your hawt sister?