Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Yes. Grim reapers tutorials are fantastic and many of them are fairly current, which is very important as the modules continue to develop and advance with new systems and features coming on line. Post here or PM if you have any questions!

Check six!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

I'm loving it. Wifey makes fun when I'm in my track IR but whatev's. Already had startup and  take off down pat. Now I've gotten pretty proficient in working the TDC with LGB, working the fusing and drop order (although the manual is incorrect on  The quantity versus multiple pylons math. Working on Maverick IR next.  Feel comfortable with the weapon stuff. Right now I have it automatically updating my INS so I don't have to type that crap in. But my next step is learning radio communications. I can't ever seem to talk to the tower cause I'm not on their frequency I guess. Need to learn how to call my refueler, wingman, base, etc. Then on to navigation stuff.

I could never get into Flaming Cliffs or any world war two flight sims. I just figured flight Sims weren't  for me. What I found out is that they simply werent complex enough. WW2 planes simply don't have enough electronic toys and "stuff" for me. When you learn how to do something in the DCS module and you can actually fly the plane and do things with it, it's really kind of a cool sense of accomplishment and it makes it much more interesting for me. Shooting down a plane in FC3 wasn't that great....but in DCS, b/c of the realism, I guess something simple like that becomes much more entertaining when it's immersive; and to me , immersions =complexity
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

One other piece of advice for learning the Harrier. Hold off on doing the included tutorial lessons by Baltic Dragon. They are very good, but far too complex and over-thorough. They explain all the pre-checks and tests that really are not necessary when first learning. Focus on the youtube tutorials (i.e. Grim Reapers, etc.) and you'll be up and running very quickly. However, when I started, I first jumped in with the tutorials and their complexity really held me back from learning what I needed to know and it was discouraging. Once I ignored them and focused on learning the key fundamentals, I was up and dropping warheads on foreheads in no time at all. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Alrighty buoys, guess who is finally sitting in their re-assembled gaming pit in their new man cave?   ;)

Diving into the DCS store.  This is likely to get expensive.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Of course I haven't fired up this computer in probably 6 months so, as you can imagine, it's going to take the rest of the afternoon to get everything updated and all the gremlins back out of the computer.

DCS alone is downloading a 5 Gig update right now, which on my sad internet is going to take a while.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

I think I'm going to go for:

F-14
Nevada
Persian Gulf
F-5
F/A-18

That, along with all of the stuff I already have, should keep me busy for a long, long time.

And, I'm going to nab that free A-4 if I can find it.

Toonces

Ooof...I just priced that all out.

Is there any reason I need Persian Gulf right now?  I'm thinking maybe just F-14 and Nevada.  That, along with the free A-4, would give me plenty to create some great Topgun style missions from both sides.

I'd like to get F/A-18, but with F-14 that seems like overkill.  The F-14 is carrier capable, and I have A-10 if I really feel like I need to drop bombs.

I haven't played DCS is a long, long time, and I don't think I've ever flown online, so I'm not sure what the must haves are right now.

mikeck

Yes, I used the Grim Reapers tutorials and found them very helpful. Many of the other tutorials aren't great. Either they don't focus in on the button they are hitting, skip mentioning something they have done (assuming everyone knows to press that one I guess) or are simply TOO extensive (like you mentioned).

I haven't tried the Mirage 2k which I bought yet....but I'm thinking I may just try the F-18. I was too  intimidated Before but now that I put some time in on the hairier I think I might give it a shot. I know a lot of the systems are different but a lot of the mechanics and concepts of the same. Plus as much as I enjoy air to ground combat I wouldn't mind a bit of BVR fighting
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Wait....??....they have an A-4 module?? Or do you mean the AI would fly it?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on June 29, 2019, 06:34:12 PM
Wait....??....they have an A-4 module?? Or do you mean the AI would fly it?

It's a free community made mod. Totally flyable. Google "DCS community A-4e".

Toonces...I'd go with the F18 now and the gulf map. They are both on sale. The tomcat isn't on sale so you can get that anytime.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

You can get the A-4 here (it took me a while to find it):  https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/releases/

I have no other information as I've not flown it yet...in fact I haven't even downloaded it yet.

Skoop

The A-4 is well done for freeware, I'd like to see it officially adopted so you don't get integrity check issues flying online.  Plus you can launch shrikes with it, just need a Vietnam map and DCS phantom for my dream to be complete.

mikeck

Thanks for the info.
Gonna pick up the F-18 since it's on sale

Toonces

I hate to say this, but I'm reconsidering my DCS purchases.  You know, like Steel Beasts, this is a sim that I simply never get around to playing.  I think I might just be a Falcon 4 guy for life.  With the new 4.34 update on BMS I just don't see that there's enough simming time in my life for two fast jet sims.