Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I don't know man....doesn't sound right and my bet is another controller is interfering. May also make sure you have a "dead zone" of like 4-5 set in your axis tuning for pitch and roll. Sometimes the stick is off centered a little

I've flown the F-16, F-18 and Av-8 plenty and I've never had to readjust my trim constantly...especially roll; only if I've dropped ordinance.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: hellfish6 on January 05, 2020, 03:32:09 PM
So I've got a dumb question. I recently started flying DCS again, as I want to master the Su-25T. I seem to spend 90% of my time in the cockpit constantly adjusting my trim. As soon as I get it level and straight, it starts veering again after about 10 seconds. It's not fun. Am I doing something wrong? Or, rather, what am I doing wrong?

What brand/model stick are you using and what other peripherals, if any do you have connected? In the DCS control settings, make sure each axis is assigned to only one controller. DCS has a habit of assigning the same axis to multiple controllers requiring the player to clear duplicate entries out of the settings...for each aircraft/module.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Yeah....This is definitely a controller issue. No reason you should have to readjust trim that much just b/c you increase or decrease speed a few knots or increase/decrease
Altitude a thousand feet
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

My point was that he was stating he was using trim very much. In the event he is 'steering with trim' his situation can definately be explained by mis use of it. I was merely trying to post some clarity about what a trim system is meant for to perhaps help him.
So don't be so dismissive please.

But of course, if he has double assignments on axis it's likely causing the issues he is having.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mikeck

he said that he spends 90% of his time trying to adjust the trim so the plane doesn't keep veering. As soon as it seems to be ok, it will vear again. I don't think he's saying that he was steering with trim. I've had the same thing happen...it was my deadzone. So I'm not being dismissive, I'm just saying that it's not normal to have to adjust your trim simply because you are slowing down or lowering altitude so something is sending signals to the game that he is moving the controller

Sorry if it came across as dismissive

Yskonyn

Quote from: mikeck on January 08, 2020, 02:00:07 AM
I'm just saying that it's not normal to have to adjust your trim simply because you are slowing down or lowering altitude so something is sending signals to the game that he is moving the controller

Sorry if it came across as dismissive

Actually this IS in fact normal, and once again if he's constantly fiddling with it without giving the aircraft time to settle it might definitely cause erratic behaviour, but anyway I might have interpreted his post incorrectly.
Apologies accepted, no worries. Text is difficult, so my apologies for being emo about it. 😊
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

hellfish6

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 06, 2020, 10:11:48 AM
Quote from: hellfish6 on January 05, 2020, 03:32:09 PM
So I've got a dumb question. I recently started flying DCS again, as I want to master the Su-25T. I seem to spend 90% of my time in the cockpit constantly adjusting my trim. As soon as I get it level and straight, it starts veering again after about 10 seconds. It's not fun. Am I doing something wrong? Or, rather, what am I doing wrong?

What brand/model stick are you using and what other peripherals, if any do you have connected? In the DCS control settings, make sure each axis is assigned to only one controller. DCS has a habit of assigning the same axis to multiple controllers requiring the player to clear duplicate entries out of the settings...for each aircraft/module.

Speed Link Phantom Hawk. No other peripherals - I'm not really a flight sim guy (for example, my favorite air combat game is the Strike Fighters series because it's super easy to pick up and be good at without knowing any real buttonology) so I just have my laptop. The joystick was bought for War Thunder and SF2.

I'm looking at the controls and I don't see anything to suggest that it's using any other flight controls other than the joystick. Only camera angles are assigned to the mouse. The axis deadzones were set to zero, I adjusted them to 10/100. I'm still getting a lot of tilt to the right. The A-10C and Ka-50 do it when I start a free flight otherwise straight and level too. On a whim, I loaded up SF2 to test it there, and sure enough it's got that problem as well, but not as bad as DCS. So it's gotta be the controller.

...and I went into the Windows device manager and calibrated it properly and it seems to have helped. Problem solved... I hope

Yskonyn

Glad you may have found the issue there, hellfish6. Cheaper sticks are known to have 'drift' issues due to the cheaper podmeters used. Re-Calibrating the stick in Windows once in a while helps.
If not then I suspect a podmeter might be showing its age or is malfunctioning.

Another thing to check is the assignment of the Z-Axis on the stick (twist). I would recommend not assigning anything to that axis and especially not the rudder. It's far too imprecise for any meaningful control and the axis often spikes all over the place.
If you do have rudder assigned to that axis it might cause difficulty handling your aircraft as the spikes will make your rudder move, which in turn will also cause a secondary roll effect.

Destraex

Hellfish I would hit like on your post, but this is not facebook :)
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

hellfish6

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 10, 2020, 11:09:40 AM
https://www.facebook.com/notes/dcs-world-by-eagle-dynamics/dcs-world-2020-and-beyond-non-aircraft-projects/10163029718625341/

Super carrier pre-order opens on 1/17/2020 and early access is expected by the end of Q1 2020!

And owners of the Hornet get a discount (I take it that means an extra discount on top of the pre-order discount?)!

Definite pre-order for me. The module will also feature the Arleigh-Burke class and an updated Kutznetsov model (without animated deck crew however) and the SU-34D for those who don't have it already.
Pretty cool package if you ask me.

Lots of ambitious stuff in the newsletter. I joked on our virtual wing's discord that the letter is full of cool stuff that will get delayed time and again so we -perhaps- can play with in 2050.  >:D

hellfish6

MiG-23, Mi-24 and dynamic campaigns are definitely on my to-buy list. Carrier maybe... gotta get carrier aircraft first, and I'm still learning the Frogfoot.

Destraex

My little summary of the recent upcoming DCS stuff, what I am missing is all the projects that have been teased that might be announced throughout the year:

DCS News - Non-Aircraft projects 2020 and beyond:
SuperCarrier paid module available for pre-order in January 17th and finally playable as early access in Q1 2020. Going to be a 30% discount for early access as well as a further discount I gather, for F18 owners, which I am.

MAPS
* A ww2 English Channel map is coming. I wonder how or if this will fit into the Normandy map I already own or if a discount will be given for Normandy owners.
* Falkland Islands map with new assets and player-units also being developed.
* Syrian Map - This map sounds like it has been re-imagined after community or alpha tester feedback. Perhaps it did not cover enough ground. It covers parts of northern israel and southern turkey as well as Syria and Lebanon in between.
* Marianas A modern and free version that will hopefully be ww2 converted when the corsair gets closer.

OTHER IMPROVEMENTS
A bucket load of other improvements are on the way but we do not know whether they are months or years away:

* Vulkan API Support
* DCS World 2.5.6 Lighting Improvements
* Clouds and Weather
* Voice Chat (VC)
* New damage Modeling for ww2 aircraft
* New Aircraft Artificial Intelligence (AI)
* More realistic Airfield Air Traffic Control (ATC)
* Improved Air-to-Ground Radar and Forward-Looking Infrared (FLIR)
* Missile Dynamics and guidance improvments
* New AI Units
* Dynamic Campaign - This one has been in development for a very long time and continues to come along.

AIRCRAFT
Finally a brief look at aircraft coming at some point:
DCS: A-10C Warthog 2
DCS: Ka-50 Black Shark 3
DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt (very soon)
DCS: De Haviland Mosquito FB MK.VI
DCS: Mi-24P HIND
DCS: F/A-18C Hornet and F-16C Viper - feature complete by end of 2020
DCS: UH-1H Huey - addition of coop gameplay
DCS: OH-58D Kiowa Warrior
DCS: F-15E Strike
DCS: MiG-23

There are a few aircraft NOT on the recent eagle dynamics update list above which we know are in development, one is the F4U Corsair, ww2 carrier and the ww2 Zero which will at the very least be an AI aircraft. I am sure other surprises will pop out during the year. They love doing that.

Modern Air Combat game - A separate AAA version of DCS dedicated to a more action oriented market with low fidelity, less complex everything. They are obviously trying to capture a different market here, perhaps with an eye on having some graduate to full fidelity simulation later. As long as they keep the primary focus on our full fidelity simulation I will be happy.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Redwolf

I see lots of carrier focus in the future of this sim.

In a few years we attack Pearl Harbor.

And helos. I'd say we will lift off destroyers way before we see an Apache.