Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Skoop on January 22, 2022, 06:53:31 PM
Yeah a jet is a different animal.  The way the Apache fights from those stand-off positions with pop up attacks, it can be managed from the gunner seat.  You can test it now in the hind.

With the hind, you can just play as gunner while ai handles all flying?  If so, May need to buy.

Toonces

Oh man, I didn't need to read that.  (Eyes wallet...)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Skoop

So I tested it at release of the hind module and it was functional but cluncky to run it from the gunner seat.  They have done a ton of work with the Pavlov AI for the hind since then, but I haven't flown it since the few weeks after the release.  I'm just not a hind guy, and the tech it uses in the gunner seat isn't that compelling.  The dcs hind has a fixed gun so all the gunner does is aim the atgm and spot targets.  Now with the Apache...the gunner seat is the most compelling seat.  With all those displays, flir cam, helmet mounted sight for the gun, and weapon systems, I could spent weeks in the gunner seat and never even fly it.

Skoop

Even if running the Apache from the gunner seat with an AI pilot is clunky or much to be desired.  I feel it's still worth it for fence sitting simmers on the out side looking in.  There's still potential to pair up with human pilots and be their gunner.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Skoop on January 22, 2022, 07:13:36 PM
So I tested it at release of the hind module and it was functional but cluncky to run it from the gunner seat.  They have done a ton of work with the Pavlov AI for the hind since then, but I haven't flown it since the few weeks after the release.  I'm just not a hind guy, and the tech it uses in the gunner seat isn't that compelling.  The dcs hind has a fixed gun so all the gunner does is aim the atgm and spot targets.  Now with the Apache...the gunner seat is the most compelling seat.  With all those displays, flir cam, helmet mounted sight for the gun, and weapon systems, I could spent weeks in the gunner seat and never even fly it.

I wouldn't mind that at all, even if limited stuff that can be done.  Does the AI handle even both take offs and landing?  Or do you have to get it in the air and turn it over then?  Really interests me if the AI is at least capable of flying.  Thanks.

Skoop

I'll have to test it for you.  It's been a while since I been in the hind.  Been flying the F16 non stop the last month.

Actually, you could check YouTube, I bet someone's already done a test and you could see first hand.

Skoop

Here's a vid of the reapers guy demo'n the AI as pilot.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpL_429dG8s

To land you tell him to hover at 0 and press g to lower gear.  It can be done just not ideal.  Interesting to see how this evolves for the Apache.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Skoop on January 22, 2022, 06:53:31 PM
Yeah a jet is a different animal.  The way the Apache fights from those stand-off positions with pop up attacks, it can be managed from the gunner seat.  You can test it now in the hind.
Shit I've had the Hind since release and I don't even know how to get to the gunners seat, let alone control the AI pilot.

Just through lack of use I should point out - never investigated. Load, jump in the pilot seat, hit keys, check HOTAS assignments (again and again and again), attempt to take off, check HOTAS assignments, take off badly, check HOTAS assignments, fly around badly, check HOTAS assignments, pull the trigger and wonder why nothing happens, check HOTAS assignments, pull trigger again, check GHOTAS assignments again, head to a flat spot to land, fly badly around flat spot, crash.  :2funny: :2funny:

I have landed on the roof of a building with the Shark and landed a Harrier on the carrier...with lots and lots and lots of practice.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Skoop on January 22, 2022, 08:54:08 PM
Here's a vid of the reapers guy demo'n the AI as pilot.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpL_429dG8s

To land you tell him to hover at 0 and press g to lower gear.  It can be done just not ideal.  Interesting to see how this evolves for the Apache.
I would put the Reapers up there with instructional stuff. They're excellent. They've also got brilliant entertainment videos. Things like mixed aircraft (multiplayer) attacking a carrier with bombs iirc, taking out a mountain based barracks surrounded by SAMs - they are pretty cool.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for video.  Although still looks a little complex, May end up trying it as that is exactly what I would want

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 23, 2022, 03:58:02 AM

I would put the Reapers up there with instructional stuff. They're excellent. They've also got brilliant entertainment videos. Things like mixed aircraft (multiplayer) attacking a carrier with bombs iirc, taking out a mountain based barracks surrounded by SAMs - they are pretty cool.

I agree. The Reapers videos are great for when I need to learn something quickly, like how to use a radar so I can lock a target up and fire a BVR missile, or for a refresher on how to do a quick and basic cold start without going through all the system checks. I will never understand why they get so much hate. They are such an asset to the community and their videos serve an important role.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I didn't even know they got hate. I don't get that at all
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 23, 2022, 09:40:49 AM

Since you own the Hind, I need you to try and let the AI control the flight and play gunner...seems like we might be at the same skill level (although your probably better) so would be interested in your thoughts:)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 23, 2022, 09:40:49 AM

Yeah...I guess it's because they don't do anything "by the book" or how it would be done in the "real world". Also, they are primarily out to have fun, so they don't always have all the answers, or know everything about the systems. Sometimes, they may give slightly incorrect or inaccurate information and although this should be no big deal, it turns some people off, apparently.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Purchased the hind so will give it a try myself this week...hope it pans out