Darwin Award candidate

Started by steve58, July 05, 2015, 06:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

:(  :-\  ???
CALAIS, Maine (AP) — A young man who was drinking and celebrating the Fourth of July tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, fatally injuring himself, authorities said Sunday.

Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, he said.

The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly, McCausland said.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shoots-off-firework-top-head-dies-135937499.html
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

The answer to this example of natural selection is obviously to ban anything with the potential to kill.   ::)

Get used to eating with your fingers and walking long distances.  :P

Staggerwing

And if you want a canoe keep chewing until the tree falls. Then chew some more.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Looks like it's going to be a tight race, with Texas competing with Maine:

QuoteA Texas man died Tuesday after shooting a firework off of his chest, according to Colorado County sheriff's officials.

Justin Bartek, a 30-year-old veteran postal worker, died at Columbus Community Hospital on Tuesday, a local NBC affiliate reported.

source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/8/texas-man-dies-after-shooting-firework-from-chest/

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

I'd say that we shouldn't count the chickens until Florida weighs-in, but it just looks like they have nothing better to offer than pro athletes blowing off their fingers.
Any time is a good time for pie.