Children of a Dead Earth

Started by Jarhead0331, September 23, 2016, 12:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Can I use the designer to design my own ships and then use those ships in the scenarios? Or are ships made in the designer relegated to sandbox play only?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on September 28, 2016, 04:03:07 PM
Can I use the designer to design my own ships and then use those ships in the scenarios? Or are ships made in the designer relegated to sandbox play only?

I would think not. The campaign scenarios are highly scripted in terms of order of battle. Most of the scenarios require the player to think strategically in order to overcome limitations imposed by the specific vessels present. So far it has proven very important to factor in the strengths and limitations of your vessels, as well as those of the enemy. Having the ability to design your own ships and use them in the scenarios would break this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Still wondering about how Sandbox works.  Is it just some drop-down menus for selecting units for the two sides, along with a location?

Pinetree

Got the game today, I think I'm in love already,lol, and I haven't fired anything yet. Went through the first mission, was doing ok until I changed the frame of reference. Holy hell, what a mind bender. I understand what they are for and what they do but the way the trajectory paths changed threw me. Still, I managed to half my time and Delta-v the second time around.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Pinetree

Just finished the 3rd mission, managed to get a silver on my first try. I used nearly half my delta-v to match orbits and then launched 20 drones so they would intercept the enemy about 2 hours from main intercept. They went in fast and took out the coilgun and some radiators, I'd actually forgotten to aim them so it was a good result. Seeing that, I launched my last 5 drones using high delt-v and targeted them on the remaining radiators. They managed to knock them all out and cook the crew. I didn't even have to engage with the carrier. Very quick and brutal combat. It's going to very interesting when I get an enemy with lots of delta-v to play with as well.

Brilliant, brilliant game.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Hofstadter

Yeah I did that mission, but I launched my drones in the intercept and took out their longest ranged guns, then i used my normal ones and just did flybys like...5 times to kill it
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

undercovergeek

There's a lets play of mission 2 on youtube

Hofstadter

Im going to start a lp series off this too. The game doesnt seem to be getting enough love
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

mikeck

Quote from: Hofstadter on September 29, 2016, 08:03:37 AM
Im going to start a lp series off this too. The game doesnt seem to be getting enough love

Yes please! I can only watch so many videos of people pulling red yellow and blue dots around without saying what the hell they are doing.

Only one I've seen that is helpful in learning is this one by Scott Manley. Still not a LP...but isn't supposed to be. Man...I do miss manuals

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gSoVbwyrxDk

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

By the way...anyone know of any good military sci-ifi books (besides those below) Taking place in a similar hard-science /near future universe?

I bought "expanse" and there is also "human reach". I just can't read anymore "Lost Fleet" or "honorverse" far future stuff.  Mainly one with no aliens and taking place only in our solar system or at least with some type of limited interplanetary travel

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on September 29, 2016, 09:39:32 AM

I bought "expanse" and there is also "human reach".

I'm still in the middle of the 2nd book..... of both series.   :crazy2:

mikeck

Any other books or series you have read besides those?

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on September 29, 2016, 11:33:34 AM
Any other books or series you have read besides those?

Not with proper physics and such, like these.

panzerde

You might take a look at The Quiet War by Paul McAuley. Not military SF per se, though there are plenty of military actions. Takes place in the relatively near future, and uses plausible technology. No aliens, etc. There are other books in the same setting, some of which are sequels, others not.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Thinking about it, you might also enjoy the Revelation Space, House of Suns, and Century Rain novels of Alistair Reynolds. Again, more hard SF than military SF specifically, though there is plenty of military activity in them, especially the Revelation Space novels. Most of these are a bit more far future, but all are very realistic in terms of physics, etc. There's no FLT in any of them, for example. House of Suns may in fact be in my top five favorite novels.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres