Which eBook Reader is best for viewing .pdf game manuals?

Started by Greybriar, June 02, 2012, 12:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

Actually, given the use of the iPad for docs, I don't plan to replace my color laser in Taiwan.  However, I plan to replace our color inkjet MFD.  That will probably be sufficient for most printing tasks these days.

Bison

I have a HP all in one copier/scanner/printer which prints out about 5 pages a minute and that is more than enough for home use.  Of course I'm not trying to print out 400 page manuals or anything.  The other convience of a tablet when gaming is that you can search forums or watch youtube videos without having to alt-tab out of game.

MarkShot

When you start talking about printing out large manuals and color, a laserjet is much more cost effective than an inkjet on a per page cost.  Also, a laser can be 100X faster ... mine was also networked with a duplexer (prints both sides).  Goodbye nice printer ...  Sigh.

---

With Firefox's DownloadHelper add-on, you can download/convert (to MP4) youtube videos like game tutorials.  Then, you can put them on the iPad.  I have a whole series of Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne tutorials on my iPad.  So, it's not just manuals.  (Forums - I definitely prefer a large monitor to the 10" screen.)

Nefaro

Yeah, a laserjet is more ideal if you're printing large stacks of paper, in the end.  Although the initial price is notably steeper (same for toner cartridges), it'll do it better all around (and much longer).

A basic e-reader would be cheaper.  A printed manual doesn't require the occasional recharge or jacking with settings on odd-sized print, though.

Bison

Quote from: Nefaro on June 10, 2012, 02:27:30 PM
Yeah, a laserjet is more ideal if you're printing large stacks of paper, in the end.  Although the initial price is notably steeper (same for toner cartridges), it'll do it better all around (and much longer).

A basic e-reader would be cheaper.  A printed manual doesn't require the occasional recharge or jacking with settings on odd-sized print, though.

I cannot thing of a single color eReader that has no frills.  So I think if its just to read pdf and ignore the other features like internet browsing, you just pick size and price point.  There's really not much more to it.  I'm waiting to see if Kindle gets a larger size later this fall.

Staggerwing

There is a strong likelihood that there will be two or three models of Android-based Kindles this fall, one of them at least an 8" display, though they may not use the 'Fire' name.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

You'd think that Amazon would not want to give up the name recognition of "Fire".