Main Menu

Fallout-like games

Started by DicedT, June 05, 2012, 11:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

I got Fallout and Fallout 2 from GOG, and am enjoying the heck out of them. What other games are in that turn-based, 2-D, story-driven genre?

Michael

Gusington

Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, Arcanum...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

The first two Fallouts were instant classics.  I still wish the third was like that, instead of Morrowind with a change of scenery.

Some of the best RPGs are the ones that use isometric views.  I guess they just spend more time on everthing else instead of spicing up the first-person graphics.

I got NWN2 Platinum on the cheap before last Christmas, which is like the ones Gus mentioned above.  They're vaguely similar, although not as open as the old Fallouts were.  :-[  Arcanum is probably the closest to them as it is fairly open to roam around.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on June 05, 2012, 12:30:55 PM
Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, Arcanum...

Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are must-plays if you're a D&D fan.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

airboy

Jagged Alliance 2 is excellent.

But Jagged Alliance 2, Icewind Dale, Balders Gate are all party based.  Fallout 1 & 2 are single person plus potential allies that are not directly controlled by the player.

Best of all, all of these games are available from gog.com

Gusington

Arcanum has a unique steampunk vs. magic world too.

There's also Planescape: Torment.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MIGMaster

What about Fallout Tactics....but that is 3D I think !

Shelldrake

Quote from: MIGMaster on June 05, 2012, 01:01:12 PM
What about Fallout Tactics....but that is 3D I think !

Fallout Tactics is also isometric but is a mission-based tactical game and not really an RPG.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

James Sterrett

Quote from: Gusington on June 05, 2012, 12:45:07 PM
Arcanum has a unique steampunk vs. magic world too.

There's also Planescape: Torment.

I'd strongly second Planescape: Torment.

However, it depends in part on what about Fallout you particularly like.

KyzBP

This isn't out yet but put it on your radar.  The original was the inspiration for the Fallout series and created by the same developer, iirc.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

DicedT

I like the turn-based aspect. Arcanum is hybrid TB/RB?

Gusington

^Yes and it can be a little dicey to learn in the beginning. But the game world is really well put together.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mrsachmo

Quote from: KyzBP on June 06, 2012, 03:40:40 AM
This isn't out yet but put it on your radar.  The original was the inspiration for the Fallout series and created by the same developer, iirc.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/

cannot wait for this!

Nefaro

Quote from: DicedT on June 06, 2012, 08:26:34 AM
I like the turn-based aspect. Arcanum is hybrid TB/RB?

You can set it to be more turn-based all around, like Fallout 1/2.   I recall the real-time being pretty screwy so I always used this.

One problem with it was that an oft-used hotkey would set it back to running in real-time again.  Annoying.   Don't remember what it was, but once you find it you'll know not to hit it again so your TB option isn't turned off. 

The game mechanics of Arcanum are a lot of fun and the character system is interesting - lotsa variety.  Revolvers & Magic!   8)

Damn.. not this makes me wanna fire it up again.  I played it a year or so ago, and I know it'll run even at large resolutions (widescreen even IIRC!).  Don't remember if it required a mod for that, though.  Don't think so (but Fallout 2 did).

Gusington

I still have the original [giant] box in my [mahogany-lined] gaming library. I want to play it again too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd