Twilight Struggle PC now for pre-order!

Started by jomni, June 06, 2012, 10:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

undercovergeek

Quote from: Barthheart on June 07, 2012, 05:51:52 AM
Awesome! Pre-ordered.
8)

ive never played the b/game, just read all the excitement at BGG - if its as good as the bgame it should be great and may be a buy for me - have you seen a demo BH or are you a massive fan

Barthheart

I've played the boardgame once live, got creamed pretty good, and a bunch using VASSAL solo. It's a very interesting game. Just oozes theme, especially for those of us who grew up during some parts of that history.

I'm hoping that the PC game will open up more opportunities to play on the web. Also looking forward to AI to practice on.

mikeck

Ok. For some reason, teh server I am on is denying me access to teh link ('cause I'm at work..shhhhhhh). Anyway, can someone fill me in on what this is? Is this the cold war-turns-hot game?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

it is mikeck - if you want i can try and capture a pic from the link :)

jomni

I have only read the manual so far. But since I loved Balance of Power so much this is the most similar game that's coming out.

Mikeck, the cold war does not turn hot here. It's a game about expanding your influence.

mikeck

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 07, 2012, 08:30:45 AM

Yeah, if you can that would be great. God knows we need some good cold war grand start games.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Electric_Strawberry

Looks promising.  Something to keep an eye on.  I can remember those good old days...the Hungarian Revolution...Sputnik...Berlin Wall...Bay of Pigs...Cuban Missle Crisis.  Ah yes.  Those were the days, my friends.

Barthheart

Quote from: mikeck on June 07, 2012, 08:43:41 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 07, 2012, 08:30:45 AM

Yeah, if you can that would be great. God knows we need some good cold war grand start games.

This is not technically a wargame. More of a COld War power struggle. You jockey for influence ofver various regions of the world. US vs. USSR government level struggle.

See here for the boardgame. PC is a direct port so you can read the rules and know how it works.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12333/twilight-struggle

Ubercat

Fun board game. I own it and my friends and I love it.

Oh and BTW, that drink stain on the board over Canada is a permanent feature. It comes with all copies of the game, not just the one that the picture above was taken from. Not sure what the story is with that.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Ubercat on June 07, 2012, 09:21:32 AM
Fun board game. I own it and my friends and I love it.

Oh and BTW, that drink stain on the board over Canada is a permanent feature. It comes with all copies of the game, not just the one that the picture above was taken from. Not sure what the story is with that.

Canada : America's Coaster.

Yeah, it is a great game. And it's one that seems really complicated until you play a couple of turns. It really starts to flow pretty well after a turn or two once the light bulb pops on over the heads of players and they realize that it all works pretty easily.