A complete satisfying gaming experience in one hour?

Started by MarkShot, June 10, 2012, 02:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

I have an hour or so.

I feel like playing CMBB/CMAK, but usually a scenario is going to run longer than that.  I can sometimes spend 30 minutes just studying the map, objectives, and unit deployment!

This is one thing that I love about 1830-PC.  You could always get a decent strategy gaming experience in about 1 hour of play.  Chess can be like that at times as well ...

So, what do you play to get a complete game experience in an hour?

Nefaro

I looked through my horde of game shortcuts and further realized what I already know:  I don't like playing short games.

I'd say the shortest ones I have are Steam & Iron, Battlefield Academy (aka 'Battle Academy'), Guardians of Graxia, and Montjoie!.    And those are cutting it close - could easily go over the 1-hour limit in the larger scenarios.

Herman Hum

Gotta say the same for Steam & Iron.  It was just so darned easy to learn and get started with this one.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

MarkShot

Thanks for the mention of steam and iron. I may check it out.

Gusington

The TW games typically hit that sweet spot in an hour.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

If I have any turn based games I usually try to get in a couple of turns.

Right now I have a Panzer Corps campaign going and I'll sit down and take one or two turns.  It helps keep me from getting burned out on a game.

The downside to just playing a game for small amount of time is I go through the day thinking through my strategy until the next time I can play it.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

Lately I was farming Diablo 3 for 30-60 minutes at a time.  I'll also fire up a game like CMBN or CMA and study the map/units for awhile and play out the first few minutes of an opening strategy.

Silent Disapproval Robot

If I don't feel like really getting into something and just want to play for 30 min or so, I will often fly a quick 4 vs 4 dogfight in Rise of Flight.  I also like to go into the armoury in ArmA II and take up a helicopter and just fly around until it assigns me a good random attack or defend mission.

I also sometimes play a level of Defence Grid or a quick game of Gin or Canasta in Hoyle.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on June 10, 2012, 05:16:21 PM
Lately I was farming Diablo 3 for 30-60 minutes at a time.  I'll also fire up a game like CMBN or CMA and study the map/units for awhile and play out the first few minutes of an opening strategy.

LOL

I think he's asking about games you can finish in an hour.

Bison

Well I have no game that last less than an hour except maybe Dungeons of Dredmor.  I usually die before the hour expires.

tgb

You can finish most of the scenarios in Unity of Command or even Conflict of Heroes in under an hour.

Greybriar

A scenario from vanilla Company of Heroes can be finished in an hour, as can scenarios from WarCraft II.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on June 10, 2012, 07:52:30 PM
Well I have no game that last less than an hour except maybe Dungeons of Dredmor.  I usually die before the hour expires.

;D

What difficulty setting is that on?  I'd expect you to last at least 2 hours if it's the "Elves Just Wanna Have Fun" level.   :P

MetalDog

I will play an ongoing Civ IV game for an hour if that's all the time I have.  Although, if it's JUST an hour, I will usually just read.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

jjdenver

ooooohhhh....I thought you said complete satisfying GIRL friend experience in one hour. I know a few girls in town who provide that. ;-)

As for games World of Tanks is fun for an hour. Not sure about satisfying....