Tigers on the Hunt

Started by BlackJaguar, December 02, 2015, 06:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

What would be ideal for markers in a game like this would be to shrink them small and have them only in one corner of the unit they're covering. The PC game LnL:Heroes of Stalingrad does this and so do the Vassal versions of some war games, like Simonitch's The US Civil War.

I hate having the units completely covered as happens in ASL. I'm in the process of painting up a lot of small tile spacers (bags of 250-300 available very cheap at any hardware store) into various colors to use as markers. I'm starting with 20 spacers per color and have 4 colors so far, with 3 more ready for priming. As a bonus, they can be used unobtrusively as markers for just about any war game. Forex, blue and gray ones can be entrenchment or control markers for any number of ACW games; My yellow and red ones are going to be low supply and out of supply indicators for Unconditional Surrender: Europe.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Hot lead and dirty talk!

Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

MikeGER

Quote from: Richie61 on March 08, 2016, 09:13:00 AM
Still tweaking counters to get that Squad Leader look  :D

nice !  :D O0     ....do you see a chance to give them a little 3 dimensional counter-pieces appearance?

its really a pity that the game was not planed with a higher resolution (less rows and columns,) for a little bit bigger counters and a zoom in/out function in mind.

Richie61

Quote from: Hot lead and dirty talk! on March 08, 2016, 11:14:38 AM
believe the ASL mod has the option for small marker

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/26598/D2512FCF2D8D4A3785DFDC5A07EAF3E1.jpg

Not sure. Someone took my mod and added different smaller images without even asking me if it was ok to even use it or modified it  :coolsmiley:
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Richie61

Made new smaller text boxes. WIP so far.

Ed
aka Richie61

Richie61

JMass gave me permission to use his VASL terrain in version 2 of the "Squad Leader" mod  :)

Ed
aka Richie61

Rayfer

Got this game during the Matrix Easter 30% 0ff sale.  Got the ASL mod (with the smaller markers) installed and working today....love it, brings back fond old memories of the board game.  Awesome job by whoever made that mod....thanks!!

RyanE

I really want to like ToH.  I loved ASL and was an early adopter of the both SL and ASL.  But I also love my Palm Treo.  And I moved on.  I view ASL as poor approximation of combat and ToH a poor approximation of ASL.  Its like a xerox of a xerox, that started out hard to read anyway.  I gave up on boardgame and turn-based games below the operational level when CM and CC came out.  There is just too much gaminess that makes me scratch my head.  Like the constant fiddling with opportunity fire.

To me ToH is just about nostalgia.  I used to be big into VASL, and still poke at it now and then.  As a mostly solitaire player, I still think VASL is a better approximation of ASL than ToH.

RyanE

New DLC with three long scenarios.  Played the base game and it really seemed forcing a board game on to the PC just for the sake of doing it.  I prefer VASL, even on solitaire.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4232524

jomni

Well they can't be a blatant copy of ASL due to licensing issues right?

MikeGER

i wish the allways all to spare developers time would have been invested into adding more of the user requested  'missing ASL features' then a large scenario DLC 

smoke, hexside-features, multi-level building, etc   

GJK

I get the impression that this wasn't something that Peter programmed but was a scenario pack that was put together.  I think the download for it is like 2mb; crazy small. Adds nothing to the core game.

If you're ASL-curious and aren't afraid to play a human opponent, hit me up - I'd be happy to teach you on VASL.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

MikeGER

Quote from: GJK on February 10, 2017, 06:43:12 AM

If you're ASL-curious and aren't afraid to play a human opponent, hit me up - I'd be happy to teach you on VASL.

GJK, THX for the kind offer!  :)    i come back to you when i feel that special hardcore ASL-itch get's me

GJK

Quote from: MikeGER on February 10, 2017, 07:47:16 AM
Quote from: GJK on February 10, 2017, 06:43:12 AM

GJK, THX for the kind offer!  :)    i come back to you when i feel that special hardcore ASL-itch get's me

Absolutely.  I've taught a number of new players- it's not all that daunting a thing when somebody teaches it to you.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer