The Operational Art of War IV

Started by jomni, April 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I do like the rounded corners of the counters.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 19, 2017, 12:28:43 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on April 19, 2017, 12:18:30 PM

Again, curious: what would you have expected to see in a 2017 hex and chits game? Honest question.

I want 4k 3d Hexes and Chits modeled on true, photo realistic terrain.

Cheers
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

undercovergeek

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 19, 2017, 11:15:15 AM
Got to side with toonces here

For a long wait for release only to see, essentially a 1980s game screenshots, what's the big wait for?

Again, curious: what would you have expected to see in a 2017 hex and chits game? Honest question.

Something more dynamic with the map - I'm not talking total warhammer

If the dev or publisher really want to convince me this isn't 2 or 3 in a box that's says 4, then show me some love before asking for my money

Because, and I know this is no measure of an update and new features, it looks EXACTLY like the last one I paid for

mirth

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 19, 2017, 12:41:56 PM
Because, and I know this is no measure of an update and new features, it looks EXACTLY like the last one I paid for

bingo
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

SirAndrewD

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 19, 2017, 12:41:56 PM
Something more dynamic with the map - I'm not talking total warhammer

If the dev or publisher really want to convince me this isn't 2 or 3 in a box that's says 4, then show me some love before asking for my money

I'd like to see something more dynamic as well, but it's easier said than done once you go to the Operational Level and above. 

I remember the old Three-Sixty game Patriot from the 90's.  It tried to do away with the typical hex and counter model, and it was pretty awful. 

Still, technology has come a long way.  I'm just not sure TOAOW is really the game series to be the standard bearer of a new approach to operational level wargaming.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Crossroads

I've always liked the maps and chits no issues with them, but the TOAW III user interface is so clunky I finally stopped going back to it. That's supposedly changed, I'm curious to see the new turn resolution mechanism for instance, it's remade to be easier to grasp according to a post at their Matrix forum.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

-budd-

I never had a problem with the map, someone will mod it anyway, it's the turn/ rounds system I had trouble with. It was hard to get into. Looks like Larry will be doing an AAR soon, so we' ll get to see more.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Tuna

Quote from: mirth on April 19, 2017, 12:26:48 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 19, 2017, 11:15:15 AM
Got to side with toonces here

For a long wait for release only to see, essentially a 1980s game screenshots, what's the big wait for?

Something more modern. Not sure what exactly that would look like, but those screenshots look pretty much like TOAW III. I know it's purely visual and there will be substantial changes under the hood, but the pics don't sell me on the idea that this is really a new game.

Having seen the screenshots, I'm less enthusiastic about the game than when I read the first announcement.

Agreed looks like TOAW III was modded.

IronX

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 19, 2017, 12:59:47 PM
I remember the old Three-Sixty game Patriot from the 90's.  It tried to do away with the typical hex and counter model, and it was pretty awful. 

One of the only wargames I ever returned to the store.

mirth

Three-Sixty Pacific... that first version of Harpoon haunts me to this day.

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on April 19, 2017, 06:10:13 PM
Three-Sixty Pacific... that first version of Harpoon is one of the many things that haunts me to this day.

FTFY
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

The new UI has that War In The West look.

RyanE

Three-Sixty Pacific... that first version of Harpoon haunts me to this day.

Harpoon had been out for a while when Patriot was released. It was supposed to be 360's big follow up to Harpoon.  I still have the 5-1/4" disks in a box in storage.

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on April 19, 2017, 06:35:58 PM
Three-Sixty Pacific... that first version of Harpoon is one of the many things that haunts me to this day.

FTFY

Much better.

solops

Quote from: IronX on April 19, 2017, 05:41:20 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 19, 2017, 12:59:47 PM

One of the only wargames I ever returned to the store.

I was a beta tester on that one. We tried to tell them......I think the marketing suits must have demanded a release.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin