The Operational Art of War IV

Started by jomni, April 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Bison on April 20, 2017, 11:56:06 AM
Quote from: mirth on April 20, 2017, 11:54:53 AM
Quote from: Bison on April 20, 2017, 11:52:15 AM
You should focus your finances on more vital things like your aquarium hobby

That money is coming straight out of the kids' Lego budget.

So you are saying its still coming out of your wallet.  Gotcha.

<sigh> Now I'm depressed. Think I'll buy a game to cheer myself up.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Quote from: mirth on April 20, 2017, 11:57:16 AM
Quote from: Bison on April 20, 2017, 11:56:06 AM
Quote from: mirth on April 20, 2017, 11:54:53 AM
Quote from: Bison on April 20, 2017, 11:52:15 AM
You should focus your finances on more vital things like your aquarium hobby

That money is coming straight out of the kids' Lego budget.

So you are saying its still coming out of your wallet.  Gotcha.

<sigh> Now I'm depressed. Think I'll buy a game to cheer myself up.

I recommend Agricola.  You can be depressed as you find new and exciting ways to feed your family in a pre-industrialized world.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

Quote from: mirth on April 20, 2017, 12:00:46 PM
I meant a real game.

Ah...right.  I recommend Terra Mystica.  If you have multiple personalities, it quite the solo game.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: solops on April 19, 2017, 09:19:33 PM
Quote from: IronX on April 19, 2017, 05:41:20 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 19, 2017, 12:59:47 PM
I remember the old Three-Sixty game Patriot from the 90's.  It tried to do away with the typical hex and counter model, and it was pretty awful. 

One of the only wargames I ever returned to the store.

I was a beta tester on that one. We tried to tell them......I think the marketing suits must have demanded a release.

Yikes.  I can't even imagine what it was like to test that steaming pile of a "game".   I didn't even know they ran a beta back then. 

But yeah, I took that one back as well.  Story I heard back then was that Three-Sixty was more interested in Patriot appealing to the Army than they were making it functional for the civilian market, hence the horribly impenetrable mess that got released.   Joke was on them when both markets rejected it. 

I'll give it one thing, it was a pretty accurate simulator of headquarters level pre-battle staff planning.   Not really something I want out of a game though.  It "played" like a slideshow.

I'll be very happy to go back to the nice little counters in TOAOW IV.  And hey, if it's anything like the third game there should be graphics option to turn the counters into little army men.  Maybe they look extra spiffy this time.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

demjansk1942

I bought that game and it was one piece of junk.  I think I sold it on eBay about 12 years ago

solops

Re: Pics - the counters look good. The terrain is underwhelming. Blah. Pastel. Lack of definition and separation between terrain types. Probably look for a mod. FYI I think the War in the West/War in the East maps are bad, too, and keep me from playing on occasion. Just can't stand the baby-room blah maps. And...the later SSG games suffered from the opposite. Their maps were highly colored and lacked clear definition on a hex by hex basis. Very unpleasant to view and kept me from buying most of their otherwise outstanding games. I like the old TOAW style better, at this point. But, map graphics are things that can be fixed! The TOAW4 engine fixes are awesome. Feeling grognard this morning.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Looked again. Map not as meldy looking as I thought. Hmpf....still may like the older maps better, but I'll have to reconsider. I think what I dislike is the blah light greenish of the plain, clear hexes. I think I'd rather they were white. I can probably fix that. (?) Most of the other terrain looks fine.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

-budd-

Matrix forum member "ncc1701e" posted this over at Matrix forums, cracked me up.

https://youtu.be/hRAqWVqThF8
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

mirth

Crossroads

^^Your opponent upgrading to next patch level in the middle of a PBEM is no laughing matter. I almost felt empathy to him until he told he got where he did by cheating. The b@stard  :2funny:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

"Order me a copy of Hearts of Iron 3"

:DD

Ubercat

I thought he was going to request Axis & Allies.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

mirth

^that was very good information.