Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

today's outrage...  It's Tuesday, so I checked for upgrades on my Win 7 machine.  Without looking at the detailed list of "important" updates, I hit "install updates"...and Win 10 began to install.  I cancelled it after much difficulty.  Getting really tired of this.  I just wish there was a viable alternative to Win...I'd drop these guys fast.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Boggit

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 11, 2016, 12:36:10 AM
today's outrage...  It's Tuesday, so I checked for upgrades on my Win 7 machine.  Without looking at the detailed list of "important" updates, I hit "install updates"...and Win 10 began to install.  I cancelled it after much difficulty.  Getting really tired of this.  I just wish there was a viable alternative to Win...I'd drop these guys fast.
Yeah, I also noticed the tick box on the update, which I'd unticked and had been ticked again... ???
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

@Huw
Thanks for the explanation - much appreciated. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

OK, so I may be the last person in the world to know that Windows' Personal Assistant, Cortana, is named after the AI in the HALO game series. Having just read a synopsis of that game series I am left to wonder:

How long till Life imitates Fiction and the MS' Cortana also goes all Skynet for real?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 15, 2016, 09:07:09 AM

How long till Life imitates Fiction and the MS' Cortana also goes all Skynet for real?

:))

Huw the Poo

JasonPratt

^^ Yep. I use both Win and MacOS, and that's accurate.

Almost accidentally installed Win 10 on either my Surface or the Presence again this weekend; just forgot to check whether the optional thing (namely Win 10) had been checked, since some update back there reactivated its flag. Fortunately they've made it easier to cancel out of installing it.

I suppose I'll have to get it on a new computer someday, and/or when they stop supporting Win 8.1 (which who knows could be any time). But only if Falcon says it's worth it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 16, 2016, 01:37:20 PM

Actually, the last few OS X upgrades have been free.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Don't go all Sheldon Cooper on us.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

mirth, how do know that Microsoft hasn't already upgraded your system to Windows 10? They probably just left the Windows 7 skin in place as camouflage.    

>:D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

You're probably right  :uglystupid2:

Sir Slash

I had to Bitch-Slap my PC last night to stop it upgrading to Win 10. All by itself and when my favorite show was on like it knew I wasn't watching.  :o  I'm afraid to leave it turned on by itself anymore.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tpek

Also had my Win 7 start a spontaneous long (and not to be interrupted) process of converting to Win10 without any input from me (not to mention asking for my permission)...

Fortunately, for some reason it failed and I got "stuck" with Win 7 (poor me  ;) ).