Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I've been wanting to try Mint for awhile. I have a long weekend coming up so it will be a good time to work on it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Mint works well on my little Gigabyte bookshelf sized pc. I may eventually turn that into my shopping and bill-paying living room computer but it does not have enough oomph to play many games. My latest build is still a WIP and needs a good gfx card but I'll probably dual-boot windows and Mint there as well. I wish there was a noob-friendly Linux equivalent to the OS X based Parallels so that I could run Mint all day and let any Windows-only game pop up in their own little virtual machine when needed. I know that there is WINE but trying to run Windows games under WINE has only left me frustrated.

Virtual box has been suggested as a possible way to run Windows stuff under Linux without rebooting. Do any of you Linux pioneers have experience with it?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

I've wanted to try it but just have not had the time. I have done some work on PC VMs and some of them are pretty darned good but all I've done is run Windows under Windows.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Huw the Poo

Apparently running Windows in a VM with GPU passthrough is quite viable these days, although I've never tried it.

Staggerwing: have you heard of Play on Linux?  I've used it myself with some success.  It's a front-end for WINE.  It's a repository for install scripts that other users have written to get games working with WINE.  You basically just download the script for the game you want and run it, and POL will take care of the rest.  It's pretty good when it works.

steve58

Just a heads up that Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 as a recommended update that will automatically download. 

Many users of Windows 7 and 8.1 will start seeing a more aggressive push to upgrade to Windows 10 in the coming days, as Microsoft starts to roll the new operating system out as a recommended update which will automatically download.

Microsoft said the rollout of Windows 10 as a recommended update will happen in phases starting Monday. Users who have their computers set to automatically download and install recommended updates will start to see an installer for the new operating system pop up prompting them to upgrade their computer.

Although the Windows 10 updater will automatically download to those computers, users will have the final say on whether they want to actually upgrade their machine to the new operating system. People who update to Windows 10 and end up disliking it can roll back to their previous OS up to 31 days after the upgrade.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3024278/windows/you-will-upgrade-to-windows-10-inside-microsofts-strong-arm-upgrade-tactics.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3028957/windows/microsoft-starts-recommended-update-roll-out-for-windows-10.html
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mirth

M$ is hell bent on forcing Win 10 down our throats.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Martok

Thanks for the heads-up steve.  Definitely good to know. 

Quote from: mirth on February 03, 2016, 10:38:34 AM
M$ is hell bent on forcing Win 10 down our throats.
Indeed.  I do believe they can piss off (for the nth time). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

steve58

Quote from: DoctorQuest on February 12, 2016, 02:36:41 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2016, 12:38:24 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/09/windows-10-data-tracking-spying-levels/#100a9642857e

I can't get the page to load.... :(

I had trouble viewing it as well...in Chrome, but it loaded up in IE11. 

p.s.  His other recent Windows 10 articles are worth a read as well.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mirth

steve58

Quote from: mirth on February 16, 2016, 10:04:43 AM
Oh Windows 10 you wacky OS....

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2447177/updategate-windows-10-is-resetting-default-apps-back-to-microsoft-stock

...but, but it is/was Free!

Slowly, but surely, it seems Microsoft is letting slip (perhaps unintentionally) some of the real reasons behind making Windows 10 free to the masses....in this particular case, it appears to be more power/control of what they will LET users have/use on their computers.  :-\

Huw the Poo

Yep, which is precisely why I refuse to use it.  An operating system's only function should be letting you interact with your hardware.  That's all.  Windows can kiss my arse.

steve58

Not sure if its been mentioned yet in this thread, but apparently Microsoft is experimenting with ads in the Windows 10 lock screen.  Yet another indication that the free Windows 10 wasn't/isn't really free...

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/348701/simple-steps-to-get-rid-of-windows-10s-lock-screen-ads

Huw the Poo