Main Menu

ARMA 3

Started by Toonces, February 20, 2015, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Looks like some nice new content for the Global Mobilization DLC...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Sweet!

Wonder how long before we get a full-on Fulda Gap '80s thing?  I would play the hell out of Arma on a server offering that sort of action.

Toonces

How is Global Mobilization?  I haven't tried it yet.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Toonces on June 24, 2020, 08:08:25 PM
How is Global Mobilization?  I haven't tried it yet.

The little bit that I've played with was nice.  Scenarios were scripted well enough and my squad-mates weren't brain dead AI.

Got sidetracked with other pursuits, so not much more than that, I'm afraid.

MikeGER

...personally i am (still) missing the iconic Marder A1 or maybe A2 (if 1984-1989) IFV ?

the Gepard and the PAH1 chopper with HOT AT-missiles looks nice and are unique for that timeframe and theater 

hellfish6

I love the Luchs. One of my all time favorites. There's a mod out there that will bring Marders and Wiesels into the game, but it's finnicky and they aren't part of the Global Mobilization project.

Vehicle list:

- Trench Modules - Consists of modular parts for building trenches, can be found under Empty->Structures->RnT Structures
- Static GMW (No AI Vehicle) and Static GMW - AI
- Static MG3 (No AI Vehicle) and Static MG3 - AI
- LKW 5t mil gl KAT I transport (No AI Vehicle)
- LKW 5t mil gl KAT I fuel (No AI Vehicle)
- LKW 7t mil gl KAT I transport (No AI Vehicle)
- LKW 7t mil gl KAT I ammunition (No AI Vehicle)
- LKW 10t mil gl KAT I repair (No AI Vehicle)
- Mantis GDF-020
- Mantis Sensor
- SpPz 2A2 "Luchs" (No AI Vehicle)
- LKW leicht gl "Wolf"
- M120 Tampella
- Gepard 1A2
- Wiesel 1A4 MK20 (No AI Vehicle)
- Wiesel 1A2 TOW (No AI Vehicle)
- Fuchs 1A4 Infantry (No AI Vehicle)
- Fuchs 1A4 Infantry-Milan (No AI Vehicle)
- Fuchs 1A4 Engineers (No AI Vehicle)
- Fuchs 1A4 Medic Vehicle (No AI Vehicle)
- Marder 1A5 (No AI Vehicle)
- Static Milan

Yskonyn

Nice, it has been on my radar for a while but finally bit the bullit with this sale.  :bd:
I know what I am going to be playing this evening.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Skoop

There's all kinds of missions with Cold War vibe to download on the steam workshop that require this dlc.  So there's more than just the content that ships with it.

Yskonyn

That's good to know!

Player a few missions of the campaign. What strikes me immediately is that the DLC map doesn't let shadows me cast on its mesh. It gives the world a very artificial look.
I noticed while looking at vehicles that their shadow actually is under the road and doesn't get cast on top of it.

I double checked with the official content and no such issue there.
Too bad, cause the missions themselves have been fun so far. Quality work.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

'sup Team Grogheads.

I was looking for the old website that automatically created missions for ARMA 3 based on a few user parameters.  In my search I came across a dynamic mission creator called ALiVE.  I've been messing with it for a few hours today and it appears to be a very, very powerful mission creation tool.

From what I can tell, once you install it, when you open the editor it allows you to plop down objectives and opareas for each side, and an AI commander will spawn all of your troops and equipment and assign missions and such.  I've only scratched the surface (I mean, barely scratched it) and I'm liking what I see.  It allows me, the player, to quickly create a scenario and then jump in and let the AI run all of the heavy lifting. 

Theoretically this should work with a lot of the other mods like Unsung and RHS.  I've been trying to get it to work with the Global Mobilization mod this morning but it's not recognizing the new units.  I'm sure it's user error.

Anyway, if you're interested in playing ARMA 3 but don't want to tediously create missions in the editor, this seems like a good way to do it quickly.  There are a lot of parameters that can be adjusted to create all sorts of different missions.

It's available on the Steam Workshop.

This video does a great job of showing you a quick and dirty way to get up and running quickly.  It took me a few tries, but once I stopped trying to be creative and just follow the recipe it works exactly as advertised.

Note: what tripped me up repeatedly is when creating the Blufor objective.  Be sure to scroll down and change OPF_F to BLU_F.  He shows it in the video, but I didn't realize I had to scroll down and wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why the missions weren't working.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

hellfish6

I also recommend the Dynamic Recon Ops and Dynamic Combat Ops missions. Quick and easy missions with simple but effective customization and randomization options. Also available for most terrains.

Bardolph

Cool find Toonces, I keep meaning to get back into ARMA.

I think the site you were looking for was probably this one:

http://www.plannedassault.com

Not sure if it still works or not.

Toonces

Planned Assault is indeed what I was looking for.  However, after going through a few more of the tutorials I am completely hooked on ALiVE.  I simply cannot believe I'm just now finding this mod.

I spent most of the day messing around with it trying to figure out what all it can do.  It is extremely powerful. 

It took me about 10 minutes to set up a dynamic mission on Altis.  I used NATO and CSAT.  I put NATO on an outpost with on-call CAS support, a single platoon with the mission to defend the base.  Then I gave CSAT two bases and two companies of soldiers with the mission to attack.  I can't believe how much fun it was.  I fought the mission until there were about 5 NATO left before I pretty much wiped out the CSAT forces.  Just incredibly cool.

There are additional modules you can put in to send troops into buildings, do recon and logistics drops, re-spawns, the possibilities are simply boggling.

I just downloaded the new UNSUNG mod and I'm going to spend the rest of the evening experimenting with it to see if I can set up a US listening post and an NVA attack on a Vietnam map.  I'll let you all know how it goes.

This is one of the best mods I've ever come across.

Yskonyn

Impressive stuff, Toonces! I hadn't heard of it before either, but will have to take a loot now! Thanks!  :bd:

Toonces

Honestly, the editor is kicking my ass a bit.

I've been trying to get it to work properly with the Global Mobilization DLC, but I just can't seem to get it to work consistently.

What I think is that some maps are properly "indexed" with military and civilian objectives that the ALiVE editor can see and work with.  These don't exist with the German map in Global Mob.  I've been trying for a day now to get custom objectives to work with no joy.  I did watch some tutorials, but doing it by trial and error has been frustrating, especially due to the long load times, and the need to keep referencing videos.

I'm going to shelve the fancy pants stuff and play with the stock stuff for a while and see if I can get a better handle on how the software works.  Like I said, there is an awful lot you can do with the ALiVE mod, but if you don't understand how it works (I don't) you can crash the game and otherwise break things.  I'm quite good at that.