I'm really getting tired of the b.s. we have to put up with

Started by Fighting Farmer, May 27, 2012, 07:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

If it is the options of say, paying $20 for the ad supported and $40 for the no-ads version, then I'm cool with this. But if that is $40 for ads and $80 for non-ad... well... I'm less cool.

As the article said, ad-supported games (which are often free) already exist on the iOS. It isn't that big of a deal, and almost all of them offer a no-ad version for only a little more money (usually just $1-2, the normal cost for an app).

I think Sony is trying to appeal to a lower-price point market, people who can't afford full price for a game - while still being full-price profitable. Exposure is everything and if you look at the success of games like Words with Friends for the iOS, which was free with ads but made TONS of money by allowing people to play the app, then decide to pay the money to upgrade, then that model is hard to ignore.

As I said, if there is a CHOICE and it isn't an expensive one, then what's the big deal?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

jomni

It would be cool if the game is Sports game and the ads pop out or appear in in-game screens and banners.  That' won't spoil the immersion.  But actually add to it.

Nefaro

It's Sony.   You can probably guesstimate how bad it will be.

I'm doing a victory dance lately, since these news pieces about in-game advertising being developed have appeared lately.  I've said this would happen before long, for games you've paid for.  Theyr'e gonna ruin it just like the encroachment of commercials into cable television.  Time for my "I told you so" face.  :P  I foresee the indies becoming increasingly more favored due to less BS.

Fighting Farmer

Quote from: Nefaro on May 27, 2012, 10:01:45 PM
It's Sony.   You can probably guesstimate how bad it will be.

I'm doing a victory dance lately, since these news pieces about in-game advertising being developed have appeared lately.  I've said this would happen before long, for games you've paid for.  Theyr'e gonna ruin it just like the encroachment of commercials into cable television.  Time for my "I told you so" face.  :P  I foresee the indies becoming increasingly more favored due to less BS.

These are my thoughts exactly. I think it may start out that the company will offer a two tiered pricing model for ad and non-ad games but after the consumer appears to accept this practice they will only offer a one price model for games with ads and tell the consumer "that without the in-game ads they would have to charge more their product". 

If the consumer accepts this two-tiered model, all games in the near future will have in-game ads.

son_of_montfort

And the thread has moved into the realm of worst-case-scenario speculation.  :P

It's fairly clear this is a PC and console industry reaction to the success of the in-game advertising models of the mobile gaming industry.

Also, let's pull back a little - this is just Sony attempting to get a patent, not actually implementing it in their games. That means they can charge other companies for using their patented technique. You do know how Sony started, right? By licensing the transistor from Bell Labs and starting the first transistor radios, then controlling the market on the use of their techniques. Their business model is "why get charged for an idea when you can implement the idea first and then charge other people for it?"
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

When it comes to commercials, I'm thinking worst case scenario will easily happen.

Farmer has the right of it; once they start making some ad money on the side, they'll be tempted to sell ads for full-priced stuff too.  Do you think Sony & EA would pass that up?  They obviously don't care too terribly much about their customer's convenience.  :-\