What do you get if you multiply 6 by 9?

Started by meadbelly, June 07, 2012, 08:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on June 08, 2012, 10:36:43 AM
^Dude in every class I have ever been in, 64% or lower FAILS. 52% isn't even close!

WoW! What kind of draconian schooling did you do? Junior Stormtroopers Collegiate? 50% is a pass man. I know, I fought hard for some 50%'s back in the day...  8)

mirth

In the States, somewhere between 60-70 is usually the pass/fail cutoff. Looks like Canada does it differently depending on  province.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_Canada
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

NYC public schools all the way through to grad school! Then a NJ public school (Rutgers).

Best testing story ever: in New York we have competency tests in different subjects. 65% was required to pass.

For high school chemistry we had this real bastard of a teacher who loved to mess with people. We all waited on line for our scores...I got an 85% IIRC. So I was happy. The guy behind me, an obnoxious little troll, went to get his score after me.

The chem teacher had a huge poo-eating grin on his face and stated loud enough for the entire room to hear: "Oh so sorry, I just could not find additional points on here for you. You got a 64. See you next year!"

Classic high school moment.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on June 08, 2012, 10:46:42 AM
In the States, somewhere between 60-70 is usually the pass/fail cutoff. Looks like Canada does it differently depending on  province.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_Canada

Interesting.... how can it be a fail if you know at least 50% of the material.... or 60% in Gus's example? Just seems wrong somehow.....

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I dunno. Grading systems are never perfect and often take into account things beyond just knowing the material. Class participation for example. I had many courses where that could account for 10% or more of your total grade.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

meadbelly

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 08, 2012, 01:47:30 AM
I see. Anything is possible.

Its been so long since I read the books, I mostly remember the BBC tv series anyway, that i cant remember any reference to 6x7 or 6x9. I seem to remember it as 42 was the answer to the question, Earth was to figure out what the question was.

Did the BBC tv or radio series get to the fourth book in the trilogy, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish? I believe that is where the 6x9 stuff occurs.

meadbelly

Quote from: Barthheart on June 08, 2012, 06:07:42 AM
Quote from: meadbelly on June 07, 2012, 11:39:25 PM
^As I recall, Dent comes up with the question while playing chess (checkers?) with himself (actually a caveman?). I don't recall the actual translation method, but iirc, it has something to do with being the sole survivor of the earth 1 computer, something about his current existence on earth 2: electric boogaloo, but in prehistoric times.

I humbly submit your recollection about 6 x 7 is wrong. I will not humbly admit that I may be wrong, but I do admit it (lol).

I don't have the books in front me. This is hardly definitive, but I could send you about 16 billion links referencing HGttG and "What do you get if you multiply 6 by 9?" I won't -- I'm not _that_ annoying.  ;)

This is mostly what happend. Dent being the sole survivor, or so he thought, of the destruction of the Earth, which is actually a living computer called Deeper Thought, is tasked with finding the Question to the Ultimate answer.

While playing scrabble on a planet completely run by hairdressers and other "un-useful" trades - used car salesmen etc., he starts randomly pulling tiles from a bag. They start to spell actual words and he believes it must be the answer  er question everyone is looking for.

The sentance he makes is "What is six times nine?" Since we already know the answer is 42, the only conclusion is the the Universe is a very screwed up place.

The series really is a must read....  8)

I've got to re-read the series, obviously. It's even better than I remember.

(For those of you inclined, I also heartily recommend the two Dirk Gently novels. Many HGttG fans don't enjoy them as much. I enjoyed them arguably more.)

Barthheart

Dirk Gently novels are great! For a while I was sure I was the Rain God.  8)

meadbelly

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: meadbelly on June 08, 2012, 04:09:52 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 08, 2012, 01:47:30 AM
I see. Anything is possible.

Its been so long since I read the books, I mostly remember the BBC tv series anyway, that i cant remember any reference to 6x7 or 6x9. I seem to remember it as 42 was the answer to the question, Earth was to figure out what the question was.

Did the BBC tv or radio series get to the fourth book in the trilogy, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish? I believe that is where the 6x9 stuff occurs.

Not as far as I know. I remember the restaurant at the end of the universe with the fat pig creature asking if you would like to try its loin or something. In fact the first time (I could be delusional mixing it up with something else) it was a radio story on BBC radio. I was 6 so what do i know.

Hang on, now I remember dolphins. Yes it was on the TV series.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Keunert

the saying goes:
if you multiplay 6 by 9 you will not get pregnant.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo