Why killing stupid people needs to be legal

Started by bayonetbrant, June 27, 2012, 01:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

God....I only wish that the left wing media would pick up on this site and run with it without fact checking....maybe MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell should be tipped off.  All across California heads would be exploding.....

Jarhead0331

^Duffel Blog is quickly becoming my favorite site...after Grogheads, of course!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 27, 2012, 05:05:53 PM

+1 !!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Steelgrave

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 27, 2012, 05:05:53 PM

I'm digging it. I can't wait to show my wife the First Sergeant's advice column, ha!!!

GroggyGrognard

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Great article! Oddly enough, the author John Birmingham has a CVN USS Hillary Rodham Clinton in his Axis of Time trilogy which has a Combined fleet of USN, RN, RAN, and JDF warships from the 2020s travel back in time to Midway due to a massive physics experiment. The Carrier is named after 'The most uncompromising wartime president in modern US history'.  :D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

^I loved that when it was called The Final Countdown ;)

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on June 27, 2012, 07:12:14 PM

That was Pearl Harbor...  ;)
Trust me, Birmingham's books are great reads full of technobabble, sociological whatifs, and serious intrigues.

http://www.amazon.com/Weapons-Choice-Axis-Time-Trilogy/dp/0345457137/ref=la_B001IOBFQA_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1340842960&sr=1-4

His new series, which starts with Without Warning, postulates a world in which almost the entire US and Canadian population disappears simultaniously in some kind of freak phenomenon. At the same time, though, the time setting of the first novel is just before the US-led coalition is about to invade Iraq in 2003 so a potent amount of the US military might is actually outside the country. Contrary to what you might expect, the USA does not cease to exist, instead reconstituting itself in a new, yet still very American form.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 27, 2012, 07:37:45 PM
Quote from: mirth on June 27, 2012, 07:12:14 PM

That was Pearl Harbor...  ;)

Yeah I know, but the similarity seemed funny.

I'll check out Birmingham. I'm not usually into alternate history/reality stuff, but if it's well written I'll give it a go.

Staggerwing

It's actually a bit gritty at times- improbability mixed with wartime verisimilitude.

BTW, there is a 'Final Countdown' scenario in the original Complete Carriers at War game from SSG. I'm not sure if it made it into the Matrix reboot or not.

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 27, 2012, 08:27:35 PM
BTW, there is a 'Final Countdown' scenario in the original Complete Carriers at War game from SSG. I'm not sure if it made it into the Matrix reboot or not.

I've played it! I love the original CCAW. One the best computer wargames ever, IMHO.

meadbelly

Quote from: mirth on June 27, 2012, 01:47:33 PM
Damn you're right, Brant. I went back through all the comments. Some people are taking that stuff seriously. Do they think the stories in The Onion are real too?

I'm guessing you remember the same store I do -- about the lunatic pro-life blogger who posted and went ballistic on an Onion article about Baby Death Camps or something similar as a real possibility?

(note, pro-lifers are not lunatics. This one individual dude was. And quite frankly, I'm sure his lunacy had little to do with his position on pro-life/pro-choice.)

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 27, 2012, 01:39:55 PM
^ that idiot lady from Butler County who wanted to argue that the site was real and challenged other commenters to prove it was a satire was more awesomer than the rest :D

That woman is a fine example of (what should be) award winning stupidity.  ;D

hammersby

the duffel blog is too funny. how do people think this is real?