A Game of Risk with a 4-Star General

Started by TheCommandTent, July 19, 2012, 07:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Apparently there is this site, kind of like Kickstarter, called Omaze where you can donate to 'causes' and have a chance to win once in a lifetime/dream prizes or experiences.

QuoteWhat you'll do: sit down with the man who used to run the US Central Command, have a couple beers, play some Risk, lose in about 3 moves (or whatever you do in Risk, we've never played), and listen to the most incredible stories you'll ever hear.
What You'll Learn: the art of strategy, what it takes to be a leader in the 21st Century, and why General Zinni is the coolest guy you'll ever meet.
What else: Life-changing lessons will take place on August 26 in Washington, DC. Airfare and hotel are included. See details for more info.

http://www.omaze.com/experiences/talk-geo-politics-over-a-game-of-risk-with-a-4-star-general

I haven't really dug around on the website too much but it seems legit.  Not sure how much of the money 'donated' for a prize drawing gets to the causes though.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

That would result in some pretty awesome bragging rights if you beat the General.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

If this is for real, it's pretty frickin' sweet! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

No disrespect to the General, but I'd prefer to hear some stories and take some lessons from a Sergeant Major.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2012, 09:17:53 AM
No disrespect to the General, but I'd prefer to hear some stories and take some lessons from a Sergeant Major.

I'd also toss in that playing games is not exactly like moving armies around a map. There are certainly some crossover skills, but beating him at Risk, unless he's a lifelong player, is maybe not going to be the big accomplishment some might expect.

I'd love to chat with him, but I enjoy chatting with combat vets of all ranks, and I think JH might have a good point - the guys on the ground probably have a very clear picture of what works and what doesn't. What would be more interesting is to get the sergeant and the general in a room together for a discussion. *That* would probably produce some insight.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2012, 10:32:13 AM
^

Sorry. I guess I'm just jealous no one wants to get beaten my me in a game or Risk.

mirth

A chance to drink beer and play Risk is good with almost anyone across the table.

Personally though, I'd do the Scotch tasting with Timothy Olyphant from Justified.

http://www.omaze.com/experiences/scotch-tasting-with-the-star-of-justified
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Risk is always fun and it's awesome to mock whoever possesses a weak Ukraine.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2012, 10:39:33 AM

but there are meds for that....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

Quote from: Windigo on July 19, 2012, 02:28:48 PM

Ok. That was funny, Windi.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Windigo

Quote from: mirth on July 19, 2012, 02:29:58 PM
Quote from: Windigo on July 19, 2012, 02:28:48 PM

Ok. That was funny, Windi.

Damn Mirth, I am always 'trying' to be funny... except when I talk AGW - nothing funny about that .... except the stupid deniers - can mock them

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on July 19, 2012, 02:32:29 PM
Damn Mirth, I am always 'trying' to be funny... except when I talk AGW - nothing funny about that .... except the stupid deniers - can mock them

Well, you motivated me to look for sad panda smilies. Unfortunately they're so sad that they really don't do a good job of revealing the underlying apathy I would be harboring. So I guess you just get this instead:

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."