Is the US set for a violent upheaval in 2020? This scientist thinks so.

Started by Steelgrave, August 03, 2012, 05:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

It's Mad Max already every day on the roads. Civility is rare.

'Phro are you armed? Don't answer if you don't want to.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2012, 09:22:55 PM
^That will lead to...what?

I am all for your right to own and carry guns, but I have never owned a gun.  I am seriously considering it now.  I am not Pollyana either, but I am going to start stockpiling non-perishables.

It's been a weird day.  Maybe this thread just channeled it for me.  I don't know.  But, I really think it's something that's been building in the back of my mind for some time now.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2012, 09:22:55 PM
^That will lead to...what?
Gus, I dunno.....hopefully nothing. But when you take the economic conditions we are all struggling under, mix in class warfare, label any type of dissension "hate" or "racism", marginalize people who are successful as "greedy", have SWAT teams and combat vehicles in the smallest of police departments....suddenly this guys theory doesn't seem so implausible.

And MD, I actually bought two more firearms this month, which doubled the number I have in my home. I'm having the wife get a C/C license too. I was a Boy Scout. Be prepared.

MetalDog

Yeah, man.  Everything is fine.  Just a tough week working in the heat and greasing squeaky wheels.  Appreciate you asking.

Steelgrave

God, my last post sounds like a former WG'er from Indiana we all know, ha! MetalDog, hope next week is easier on you, bro.

MetalDog

Thanks, Steelie.  It'll all get better come September.  I believe the Tuesday after Labor Day to be exact.

Gusington

I came home from work and landscaped my property for about 2 hours in 95 degree heat. I lost 5 pounds in water weight and  5 hours later my eyes are still stinging with sweat...the heat really can get to you in a bad way. Be careful.

I have always thought that I was a bit of a chicken little and I am now resigned that, well...things can always get worse. They did for me personally and I rebounded.

There was a time last year that I was campaigning with The Wife to get a shotgun but failed. A baseball bat, ax, hatchet and Rottweiler will have to do, I suppose.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2012, 09:28:00 PM
It's Mad Max already every day on the roads. Civility is rare.

'Phro are you armed? Don't answer if you don't want to.

Hey now, them vermin don't just kill themselves y'know! I'll bet that he has the kind of stuff that could turn you into the Toxic Avenger if you survived the application...

Stoph, I think a lot of us are seriously worried about the future. I've been quietly stockpiling the surgical supplies that my son requires in the event of an interruption of availability. It may be paranoid but you never know...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

+ 1 for the Rottie, Gus.  ;D  I'm gonna lay off the apocalyptic stuff I started up and go play Skyrim. Or Panzer Corp. Or Civ V. Decisions, decisions.....

Peace out, amigos.

Gusington

^You just can't send us all into a panic and then leave!! My dog needs to know if he can stand down!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Hindsight is 20/20.

Anyone who thinks they have a crystal ball is full of

We will be in for good times and bad. Just prepare for the worst and hope for the best. The rest will be history when it is history.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

No crystal ball, LB, just an interesting theory that we ran with a bit.. Like I said earlier, I'd like to look more into his research and into the field as a whole. It's basically sociology, history and behavioral science rolled into a theory as I read it.

Gusington

I do like the mathematical treatment...but then it kind of gives the impression that history is inevitable too, which is wrong IMHO.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2012, 11:10:38 PM
I do like the mathematical treatment...but then it kind of gives the impression that history is inevitable too, which is wrong IMHO.
Well, as the article states there are certainly researchers who disagree with him. I'm not signed on either, just curious. I posted it because it's an interesting theory. And it didn't involve zombies. I love me some zombies, but just when we're looking for them, I don't wanna be hit from a different direction, knowwhatImean?