Main Menu

Valheim

Started by solops, February 24, 2021, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Looks awesome but also looks like a full time job.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on February 28, 2021, 11:19:35 AM
Looks awesome but also looks like a full time job.

It's really not, compared to most survival games.  You don't have to do anything to maintain your base except occasionally defend against attacks.  I'm just obsessing over the game so I'm putting a ton of time into it.  You don't really need a huge extensive shelter or whatever, but once you get started on a big project like that, it's easy to get sucked down the rabbit hole and lose a ton of time.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Can I have my avatar shelter in a cave if I want to?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

So I've defeated the first boss and have headed away from the meadows into the Black Forest. Still only using the most basic of tools and equipment though. I've taken to finding abandoned settlements, fixing them up and making them my own.

I'm going to build the chopping block and tanning rack next. I'm hoping this will open up more advanced crafting options.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Re sheltering in a cave: I haven't seen any natural caves yet (I'm only in the starting area). The world is voxel, so theoretically you could dig a cave (as in 7 Days to Die), but not with the starting tools.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^Interesting. There's got to be players out there who have 'gone native' and tried to just live out in the wilderness without building a home, unless that is a key game mechanic and you just can't really survive without it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

You could technically survive without it -- strictly speaking you don't even need to eat (this being a kind of purgatory after death), but you could just build a fire and cook meat you managed to punch to death or hack with a stone hatchet.

However, you wouldn't advance very far. Building things unlocks more tech to build better things, and without those better things I don't think the game can be beat. I'm iffy about being able to even beat the first boss -- although a super-skilled player might kite him maybe -- but without better tech you can't even reach the subsequent bosses.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

al_infierno

I'm pretty sure the shelter system lets you use "natural" shelter, but it's iffy.  If you build a fireplace under an overhanging stone that covers your head, I think that would count as rudimentary shelter, but without a couple walls it would be too exposed to actually use a bed if you put it there. 

There's no natural caves that I've seen, but there are dungeons (including a cave dungeon) which are basically indoor instances.  They do let you set up a campfire and cook meat, but you can't build any actual structures inside them or furniture like a bed which you need to make it a proper shelter.

The first boss is not too tough once you know his move set, so I think he's easily beatable with some basic "gone native" style gear.  You can block most of his attacks with a wooden shield and take minimal damage, and the flint axe does reasonable damage to him.  Fire arrows take him down super fast, and I don't think those require any fancy workstation upgrades.  But, yeah, if you choose to go native with no shelter whatsoever, you won't make it very far into the subsequent biomes.  :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on February 28, 2021, 08:00:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the shelter system lets you use "natural" shelter, but it's iffy.  If you build a fireplace under an overhanging stone that covers your head, I think that would count as rudimentary shelter, but without a couple walls it would be too exposed to actually use a bed if you put it there. 

There's no natural caves that I've seen, but there are dungeons (including a cave dungeon) which are basically indoor instances.  They do let you set up a campfire and cook meat, but you can't build any actual structures inside them or furniture like a bed which you need to make it a proper shelter.

The first boss is not too tough once you know his move set, so I think he's easily beatable with some basic "gone native" style gear.  You can block most of his attacks with a wooden shield and take minimal damage, and the flint axe does reasonable damage to him.  Fire arrows take him down super fast, and I don't think those require any fancy workstation upgrades.  But, yeah, if you choose to go native with no shelter whatsoever, you won't make it very far into the subsequent biomes.  :buck2:

My concern with burning a fire in a cave would be smoke. You need to have ventilation or you can take damage from smoke inhalation.

I think you need a chopping block to make fire arrows.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

For those who haven't played, JH's concern about smoke in a cave is valid! -- the game models smoke accumulation if you don't vent chimneys enough.

Re flint spears and basic shields: I'm one hundred percent certain it's impossible to build flint spears without a workbench (and a covered one at that), which might not fit the gone native category. (I feel about 80% sure it isn't possible to build a shield without a covered workbench either.)

Such games aren't really about 'going native'. The two closest ones in my experience which allow some level of real gameplay this way are 7 Days to Die (arguably), and the "Primal" map setup of ARK: Survival Evolved which focuses strictly on pre-modern kit, and so which was expected to be played with a VERY cooperative party (or multiple parties competing).

Edited to add: Ancestors: the Humankind Odyssey obviously counts, since you're playing apes surviving to level up into hominids.

Jarhead0331

...aaaaaannnnnd, now in VR.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Ian C

I picked this up a few days ago. I haven't put it down. Major time vampire.

Fetrik

Amazing game. So much fun to be had. Just roaming around and exploring can be really tense or wonderfully relaxing.