Main Menu

FRIDAY Farmer!

Started by Dammit Carl!, August 20, 2021, 08:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: matt3916 on August 22, 2021, 08:04:16 PM
Re space 4x's -- Remnants of the Precursors.  MOO1 with modern graphics and some bug fixes (and it's FREE).  Not on Steam.

I have this one (and actually started a thread about it) but it's been a while since I've dabbled.  TBH I'd probably rather just play the 2016 MOO remake  :-\

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 22, 2021, 08:50:05 PM
Al...have you tried Polaris Sector? It's one of my all time favorites.

Apparently I have 90 minutes in this one on Steam, but it wasn't even on my radar.... Thanks for the heads up!   \m/  I just read your review and it really sums up why I feel like space is a better fit for 4x games than world history.  Losing a division in a horrific battle and being set back centuries makes sense in the context of a Forever War type of scenario.... not so much in ancient or modern warfare.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Anguille

Not much time to play games this weekend but played some Imperivm: Great Battles of Rome....about to finish my first battle (Numantia).

Anguille

Quote from: al_infierno on August 22, 2021, 12:47:15 AM
I'm on a big 4x kick again.  Civ is my classic go-to, but the single unit per tile system is a source of frustration when it comes to attacking targets through narrow passages. 

I'm feeling some space exploration and extermination, so I've got Interstellar Space: Genesis on my list as a MOO successor, plus Astra Exodus on deck as well.  Also, for some Alpha Centauri style action, I reinstalled Pandora: First Contact so I might give that a go.

If any groggies have recommendations in regards to those games, I'm all ears.  I have very little knowledge of space 4x's beyond MOO, Endless Space, and Stellaris.   :uglystupid2:
As Jarhead said, Polaris Sector is an excellent game and one of my favorites as well. End-game can be very long though. Interstellar Space is a good classic turn-based game and it continues to be worked on (a new DLC should come out before the end of the year). A couple of other good games: Stars in Shadow and Horizon, both very MOO-like. Also don't forget that Distant Worlds 2 is around the corner.

solops

Yeah, I keep coming back to Polaris Sector. It is one of my top space 4x games, if not the top with Distant Worlds (very different games).
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

Polaris Sector is definitely next up on my list.  Thanks everyone!

I've had Distant Worlds sitting on my hard drive for ages but never really gotten around to it.  I understand it's more of a sim than a proper "game" so to speak?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao