Gates of Hell (Men of War 2 Assault Squad redone) BETA out? Anybody in?

Started by Destraex, February 27, 2021, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Just curious if anybody got into the Gates of Hell BETA?
I did. They developed it under the Call to Arms name to get the engine license. So essentially they are not call to arms devs or call to arms style.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/400750/Call_to_Arms__Gates_of_Hell_Ostfront/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

trek

Just checked my Steam Library and I got it too. Will install it tomorrow morning. This one's been a long time coming.

Destraex

Jarhead0331

Been playing some of this. It definitely feels like a mod of this aging system. If you like Men at War and Call to Arms, you'll enjoy this too. Just don't expect a big leap forward in any particular way. They've done a good job of enhancing effects and textures though and the briefing type cutscenes between missions are very well done.

I played the first Soviet mission which is a defense of a small village against a very large German Force mixed with armor and infantry. You have 20 minutes to set up your defense which consists of trenches, mortar pits, mines and a single AT gun. Otherwise, you have a few small squads of infantry under your command. The balance of the Russian defense is AI controlled. You can also build faux AT guns which cause German spotters to misdirect their own artillery.

Anyway, it's a pre dawn attack and the tracers and artillery blasts are really cool. You can almost feel the chill from the snowy terrain. At one point, a German tank tried to flank my AT gun, but we got the kill shot off first and the explosion was brilliant. Fire was shooting out of the turret and main gun! The sparks that erupted from the dying tank were very well done. It made me smile big.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Yeah. I did not enjoy playing it. It does feel like a rehash with marginally better graphics. Will have to be pretty cheap when it comes out for me to bite.
It does not seem to be up to call to arms spec graphically and does not have call to arms first person mode. However this is due to the fact that gates of hell was developed by
a modding crowd in their spare time rather than a professional team like the call to arms one. This reminds me of the close combat dilema, the original was ground breaking and after cc5 the close combat series stagnated with very little in the way of progress. Because they if I recall kept reusing the same base code and engine rather than updating it. Then we got cc3D which felt like a very budget production compared to the original, but with more resources could have been a much better game than it ended up being. I did not refund cc3d though. I kept it to support them even though I was disappointed.

Jarhead0331

I'm changing my opinion on this. Although it still feels like a MoW mod or dlc, it has progressed very well in beta phase and I really enjoy playing it. Tonight I led panzer grenadiers supported by tanks against a village defending two bridges over the rIver Dnieper. It plays extremely well and the vehicles models and effects are very cool. It's  a dark game and feels really appropriate for the eastern front. Desolate terrain that looks cold, muddy, frozen and dead. This has gone from a get on sale to buy on release for me. I'm sad the beta is coming to end. It's awesome that they've let us play for free all this time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Anyone who likes the Men of War system should definitely take a closer look at this. It is very well done. The terrain, models, skins, etc. are all top tier and the missions are designed very well. It is being very actively supported by the dev team too and it has been very much fleshed out and improved since release. Very intense eastern front battles.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on August 23, 2021, 09:24:33 PM
Men of War kicks my ass...is Gates of Hell tough?

Yes. It ain't easy...but it's fair in as much as trying to stop the Soviet juggernaut can be.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

Plus I love being able to take 3rd and 1st person control of units at key moments.  Mow could only go 3rd person view.