Grogheads Public Library?

Started by Jarhead0331, September 20, 2021, 08:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^It's like you live inside my head with the other voices.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

^LOL

We happy grog gamers all think alike I guess hence we all hear the same voices? 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Was down in my basement earlier looking for my old PC mic and found tpns of old hardbound editions of Military History Quarterly that would go perfectly in this Grog Library. Grogbrary?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

demjansk1942

Not a bad idea, only problem is the cost of shipping books these days.  Plus, another thing, libraries don't want any more books even great collections, I asked, nope no room !

Pete Dero

Quote from: demjansk1942 on September 22, 2021, 03:19:30 AM
Not a bad idea, only problem is the cost of shipping books these days.

That is why most of my books are in a Kindle format.

There aren't many real bookshops around and they don't have a large international selection.  And there aren't many books available in Dutch for the topics that I prefer.
A few years ago I ordered some books in the UK (before Brexit) and I paid as much for the books as for the shipping.

Things have improved with a local Amazon webshop (and no shipping if you are a prime member) but that doesn't really count as a real book store.

Jarhead0331

The death of brick and mortar book shops is one of the great commercial travesties of our time. As I said in the OP, my local shop, the Book Revue, closed this month after over 45 years in business...a sad victim to the pandemic and a landlord who wanted to evict in order to built apartments and more parking.

Just about the only thing we have left is Barnes & Nobles. They have a nice selection, but none of the old books that you will find through serendipity in a used book store, where you never know what treasures you will find.

In any event, I will never get rid of my book collection and I am willing to pay some extra money for shipping in order to spread the joy of having the real thing. I do recognize that the costs abroad may be prohibitively expensive and unjustifiable for some. 

There is nothing ideal or convenient about this idea. But, if receiving a book, even if it is just for a few months, can bring happiness, distraction, and interest or wonder into the lives of a grog, I'm willing to go out of my way (and my pocket) to make it happen.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 22, 2021, 08:55:51 AM
The death of brick and mortar book shops is one of the great commercial travesties of our time. 

Amen.  Dating myself here, but I spent many, many hours in my mall's Waldenbooks and B. Dalton.

Gusington

The last couple of posts are making me shed camo-tinged Grogtears.

One of my dreams is to open my own book shop when I retire.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on September 22, 2021, 09:22:18 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 22, 2021, 08:55:51 AM
The death of brick and mortar book shops is one of the great commercial travesties of our time. 

Amen.  Dating myself here, but I spent many, many hours in my mall's Waldenbooks and B. Dalton.

I worked in B. Dalton. It was one of my first "real" jobs when I was in high school. I used to hang out in the military history section and wait for someone to start browsing. I'd then strike up a conversation and we would sometimes talk for hours. Eventually, it started annoying my boss and he tried to get me to move on, but I never stopped. I would still do that today and work in a book store, if I could get away with it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

I've got a bunch of old books I'd just be willing to donate. My local library doesn't want them so I've actually given some to local RV Parks. During the winter months the Snowbirds come down and most parks have very small libraries at their Club Houses. Two concerns, a lot of my books are pretty old and maybe out of date in their historical accuracy and cost of shipping. Thoughts and or opinions anyone?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 22, 2021, 10:19:57 AM
I worked in B. Dalton. It was one of my first "real" jobs when I was in high school. I used to hang out in the military history section and wait for someone to start browsing. I'd then strike up a conversation and we would sometimes talk for hours. Eventually, it started annoying my boss and he tried to get me to move on, but I never stopped. I would still do that today and work in a book store, if I could get away with it.

If near an Army base, could always work for AAFES and be that weird guy hovering near the books in Clothing & Sales or the PX!

-if possible, I'd always stop by Ft. Jackson and go to the Shopette / Mini Clothing & Sales place near the trainee barracks just so I could see & hear Drill Sergeants scream at pie-eyed Privates who scuttle around like roaches while clutching whatever it was they were keen on getting.  Funny shit when it ain't you as the Private.